OT: Stupid but amusing

Gentlemen, This was heard on local radio this morning and just about sums up the stupidity of making a point for the sake of it.

I live in an area called the Marston Vale which stretches from the A1 across to Leighton Buzzard and is one of the biggest quarried areas in Europe. Mainly for brick clay etc. As the Quarries come to the end of their useful life they either become land fill or leisure lakes. In a village called Marston Mortain is a park called the Marston Vale Forest Park, it has 8 Km of footpaths, 4 Km of paths for horses, a large lake and cycle ways and is certainly worth a visit. The people who look after it have recently asked for planning permission to move an original footpath, established in 18 frozen to death. This has caused uproar with a national group to do with preserving footpaths who don't want it moved. Fine you may say leave it be but this footpath crosses the middle of one of the biggest lakes in the area, aqualungs are provided if you wish to use it:-)). How stupid do we have to get to see sense in this country.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

"established in 18 frozen to death" Translation please?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Same as 18 ought plonk

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

?
Reply to
Tom

Long ago, before even you were born, Tom

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

"Tom" wrote>> >"established in 18 frozen to death" Translation please?

Divided by a common language!

Or 18 bow and arrow as they say around here. Sometime in the 1800s is how you cultured NZ types might put it. :-)

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Translation please?

cultured NZ types might put it.

Oh you mean when the maps showed things like dragons and such beasties roaming in the nether regions of the realm? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Campingstoveman

In message , Arthur G writes

1800-and-soaking-wet - think that's more Black Country, though :-)
Reply to
Peter Scales

"Tom" wrote

Right, clears throat - Eighteen Hundred and Frozen to Death is generally supposed to mean literally 1816, the year without a summer, but passed in to common usage as a humorous reference to any indeterminate time in the dim distant past. I say common usage, but this was probably only true if you were a devotee of a particular brand of radio comedy which prevailed in Britain from WW 11 until the 1960's - to use it now smacks of rather deliberate obscurantism.

Who's next with the pedant hat?

Reply to
Nick H

I don't about the "Pedant hat" you've been taking lessons from Roland, I've got to fetch the Doorstop ( Dictionary) to understand you posting :-))

Mart> "Tom" wrote

Reply to
Campingstoveman

"deliberate obscurantism"? Sorry, probably a tautology as obscurantism is a deliberate act intended to make something obscure - not something I would ever do you understand ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

and here am I just back from a visit to N Nibley whereat I saw the arch-pedant (and his liver:-). My finger was poised only to find Nick had beaten me to it. For no points at all, name the volcano responsible...... ttfn Roland (no away for a week on a spot of worm-drowning)

Reply to
Roland Craven

..............WW11........

Have I missed something? :)

Mark

mark.howard10

Me too, when did the last 9 WW's happen?

John

Reply to
John Manders

They were scheduled but cancelled by the HSE :-) I'm sure we can rely on George W.....;-( regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Ok I give up, I write about the stupidity of this country and its people and you lot totally loose the plot and start discussing World War Eleven.

You win I won't bother anymore, I'm going to bed to sulk :-))

Mart> They were scheduled but cancelled by the HSE :-)

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Just not fair, is it! Martin posts OT , and everyone posts OT right back ;-).

Sleep well, Martin.

Regards, Arthur G

you lot totally loose the plot and start

Reply to
Arthur G

Humble apologies for mixing up me Arabic and Roman - nothing like trying to be a smart a**e and then getting it wrong!

Reply to
Nick H

"Roland Craven" wrote (snip):-

By the gift of google, Tamboro.