OT Sunken Fowlers

A few years ago an article appeared in Old glory about a couple fo Fowler ploughing engines which had gone down when the ship they were on sunk off the coast near Whitby. No more information was given, but earlier I found this intresting video of a dive to the wreck. Enjoy.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

"miley_bob" wrote

Ripe for restoration! Be a shame to repaint them and destroy the original patina though ;-)

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Original patina? I thought only BL supplied pre-rusted machinery. Now there's a niche market, patina in a tin. Brush or aerosol? These engines seem to have more patina than engine though.

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

Yes, apologies for the logical contradiction John (I don't think it can be an oxymoron as it wasn't used intentionally). At the risk of muscling in on Martin's traditional wind-up territory, I can think of a few bulled up engines that would benefit from the application a little canned patina ;-)

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Martin must be asleep again. You've not quite grasped this painting thing yet. By painting over the rust etc, those guys are actually protecting and preserving it for future generations. The patina is still there but encapsulated for posterity. This way, in years to come, we will be able to enjoy really old genuine patina rather than simply reminiscing about how much better it was compared to the new stuff of the day. You see, it all makes perfect sense really.

John

Reply to
John

Didn't I see somewhere that 'old' rust lasts longer than 'new' rust?

Or that metalwork that is shotblasted and repainted goes rusty quicker?

I know that we always get our shotblasted stuff hot Zinc Sprayed immediately after the blasting is done, and that works extremely well, but I also have a Lister CE that has gone pimply under the paint after it was cleaned off and repainted (with primer)

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd