OT; Tecnical Question

Gentlemen,
I am reading a book about ships etc and it keeps referring to a Spur Lash, does anybody know what this is please.
Martin P
Apparently it's the noise the anchor makes when it hits the water. :-) Mike.H.

That's it give the game away, I had an ex navy friend going for a while, he tried his hardest to explain what he thought it was until I told him, His answer was un repeatable on here :-))
Martin P

Well you did ask ! MH

does anybody know what this is please.

I was hoping for technical answers, I did shoot myself in the foot a bit as I checked google and up popped the answer after I posed the question.
Martin P

The answer is, what I believe they call, Phonetic??

Probably the backlash in the winch's spur gears as the load comes off them.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn

More of a whooshing noise overhead, methinks... 8-)
kimsiddorn wrote:

Arrr, you're quite right there laddie. Now come below and I'll show ye the golden rivet ;-)
Cap'n Redbeard Rum
Who's turn is it in the barrel??