Petter AV1

Hi

I am replacing the piston rings on my AV1 and in the new set one of the 3 compression rings is shiny whilst the other 2 have a dull finish. The manual just refers to "the compression rings" might there be a specific order for them, or is it just one of those things.

Any thoughts much appreciated

cheers

Matt

Reply to
matt.biss

The 'shiny' one is almost certainly the chrome top ring, the other two are underneath.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.ukhttp://www.oldengine.org/members/dieselhttp://www.stationary-engine.co.ukhttp://www.oldengine.co.uk Thanks Peter, Im glad i asked.

Do you know why the top one is chromed? out of interest.

Reply to
matt.biss

Better wear characteristics in the hottest part of the bore. The relatively low levels of lubrication at that point, together with the very high temperatures and direct contact with the combustion flame and by-products makes it a difficult job for plain cast iron rings.

Is yours a Series I or Series II engine?

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.ukhttp://www.oldengine.org/members/dieselhttp://www.stationary-engine.co.ukhttp://www.oldengine.co.uk Ahh, that makes sense. Its a Series II. It was running fine but I had to take off the block to get it in the engine room of our barge. Two of the rings were broken and the third was gummed up. I thought I was in for a hunt but Sleeman and Hawkins had some on the shelf!

cheers again

Matt

Reply to
matt.biss

Probably a daft question, but you have thought about the ridge that forms at the top of the ring travel, haven't you? If your fingernail can discern it, then it should be removed or feathered to avoid breaking the nice new top ring ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn