Posting

wrote (snip):- ...

enthusiasts)

I'm not talking about explaining netiquette, just how to 'get in' - most have not thought beyond the clunky Google groups service.

Apparently (according to Pipex tech support anyway) the usb adsl modem looks to the computer like a standard dialup winmodem thus the apparently anomalous error message - all very interesting but they couldn't actually tell me how to cure the problem!

Reply to
Nick H

You 'should' have a tick box somewhere that says:

"Use existing connection(s) if on"

or in Agent:

"If another connection is already open, use it instead"

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen, As the instigator of this thread may I please call a halt to it now, I had a problem which I queried and now I am more confused than before so I will "go with the flow" as they say.

Martin P

mart> Right so we`re going for top then ??? You`re getting me very

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I see, I was warned to avoid usb, so I went to a cheap (GBP40) 4 port hub with ethernet. This has the advantage of allowing 4 computers to use the adsl connection, basic firewall and networking those computers, though I only have two which I mutually back up.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

wrote

I think you are right, an ethernet connection would be more 'robust'. But that would mean me installing a network card in my machine and I've never even had the cover off of it! USB modem came as part of package from Pipex (as they do with many if not most others) and one would like to believe that they were selling a mature consumer product rather than some half baked kludge fit for the enthusiast market only!

BTW during my pre going to work session this morning, connection dropped four or five times eventually resulting in a 'no dialtone' message (though adsl light came back on after 30 secs or so). This time, rather than restarting machine, I unplugged USB connection for a while and on reconnecting play was successfully resumed. What is euphemistically known as a 'work round' I believe.

Reply to
Nick H

You wouldn't think twice about lifting the head off an engine though. As long as you have the drivers its literally removing the covers, finding an empty pci slot, remove one screw and blanking place, replace with network card.

Let w98 find the card and then set it to "obtain ip address automatically" under control panel-> network->tcp/ip.

My router did the rest automatically once connected to adsl and ethernet.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Bottom posting is the generally accepted preference.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Far more robust and more useful for when you have more than one PC...

But, but, you take engines a part without batting an eyelid... B-)

If the machine is more than year old having the cover off and getting the dust out of the CPU fan/heatsink and PSU might not be a bad idea and the rest of the case come to that. Use a small vacum if you have one the dust is very fine and sneeze inducing...

Be aware that with modern machines if there is mains applied to the PSU there are volts on the motherboard even with the machine "off". Simple static electricity precautions are probably advisable so keep the box plugged in but switched off at the socket and frequently touch the metal work with your fingers. I also touch the conductive bag a new card comes in to the same metalwork before opening, removing and fitting the card. It just equalises any voltages.

After that find a free slot romve the single screw and blank plate, fit the card use the screw previoulsy removed to hold it in place. For most common cheap cards Windows will have the drivers already and install 'em. Once back online do a Windows Update to get the latest version (if there is one).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

wrote (snip):-

An older engine no. But, had I bought a new car, I wouldn't expect to start tinkering with it to get it to 'do what it said on the tin' (not since the

1970's have motor manufactures expected the customer to do their development work for them!). Hence my assertion that computor technology is not yet a fully mature consumer product. I guess I should have ordered the PC with a network card, but three (or is it four) years ago a) I probably would not have known what one was and b) if I did I'm not sure I would have forseen a need for it.

BTW I'm finding all this cutting and pasting to change what OE does into usenet 'approved' format a right pain - everything seems to take twice as long. Any news on if it can be configured to bottom post? Also can the preview pane be set to start reading at the bottom so that I dont have to scroll down to find the new stuff on each post?

Reply to
Nick H

Agreed you shouldn't need to, just commenting on how doing something a bit different sometimes phazes one.

I believe there is a patch called quotefix. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think quoting nothing is better than quoting everything out of context, but I'm easy. I think the rfcs for uk. hierarchy specify posting after quoted text, but they're not written in stone, so those who have used usenet for nearly a decade do it.

There is little doubt that the business world adopts top posting and retaining all the previous correspondence, lemmings all using OE, I've seen some interesting bloopers when I have got copied in late in a thread, where a previous message I should not have seen still lurked at the bottom of the mail.

I am sure time will show dependance on a monopoly's products will not pay.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

OK. I did it. Ethernet card installed and modem/router (with wireless access point so I should be able to tie in laptop eventually) all up and running! Well I'm impressed even if no one else is ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

wrote >

All helps to build the confidence. But I do keep looking at it and thinking "I can't believe this is actually working" (finds very large piece of wood to touch!)

Reply to
Nick H

:-) I suppose the goad of if he can do it it must be easy helped?

I'm sticking with wires for a while yet.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Well done, have a pat on the back.

Now wander off and check that all the security aspects of that wireless access point are setup correctly...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's nice to get it all working, even if there's nobody else to see it :-))

We have been reconfiguring a load of Compaq desktops for the family, surprisingly easy, especially with built-in 'everything'.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes