Small Engine with zero information need lots of space.

Has anyone ever seen so much space taken up to display something so little?

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Charles Hamilton

Symptomatic of what is wrong with many shows and rallies, and exhibitors. Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

The other engines at the show were well presented and used a reasonable amount of space.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Reminds me of a local steam gathering close to me held in a pub car park. Space is at a premium, sometimes 20+ engines + a few cars and bikes and WHY. In addition there's the cars belonging to the pub clientele.

Stuck at one side of the carpark was one of those stupid large motorhomes and huge awning like the Chuckle Brothers have and sat in front on a picnic table was (I forget exactly) a Suffolk Punch ticking over for 5 minutes in the hour all weekend. I'd have loved to have got something like a Cat D4 and shoved the whole lot into the nearby river!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

As I've said before, variety is the spice of a good rally for me and the engine itself looks well presented (lack of info excepted). However I do agree that the display area always looks better if vehicles etc can be parked separately.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Whilst I entirely take Richard's point (hello Richard !) at least some effort has been made to present the engine in a clean & tidy fashion AND it is running and driving a pump.

I exhibited a Tiny Tim at Astle Park that really wasn't a great deal larger than this engine. However, I slept in the car & brought no trailer, so my footprint was quite small.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Kim,

There are two major differences between you and that picture, you make the effort to show things of interest and everybody knows you have more engines than you know what to do with or admit to your wife :-)) That picture is blatant entry ticket and nothing more.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Another one or two engines of a similar size together with information would seem to me, to be a fair and reasonable trade off for the space taken up.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

I'm reluctant to turn up at a rally with my Lister D out of fear of having it seen as an "entry ticket" engine. Since it's the only engine I have I stay home.

The exhibitor could certainly have spiced it up a bit with some info sheets and being so small put it on a platform. However you can't shrink your caravan or family so the solution would be to have the engine line separate from the camping area like they do at Dorset. Looks much nicer as well.

Michael

Reply to
michaelbrix

If your engine runs and is presented well I would have no problem at all with it at a rally.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Charles is 100% on the money. A Lister D may be something we are used to seeing at rallies - as they sold a quarter of a million units, we cannot be surprised that they are common! - but they are always welcome.

You might like to consider giving it something fairly unusual to drive - there are a surprising number of hand operated vacuum pumps about for not a lot. They are curious, spindly beasts & don't take up a lot of space or weigh much. I've seen several fitted to stationary engines.

There are of course lots of other things, this was just the first that occurred to me.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn