Sulzer progress

I fear I was distracted from my household duties again last week:-) It looks superb in the flesh and nicely illustrates my recent post re large engine-erection. For the story so far see:

to see it running why not pop up on Easter Monday. I'm open to correction as always but I think it will be the oldest regularly-run diesel in the world. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

In message , Roland and Celia Craven writes

Very nice! But whose blood is all over the walls?

Reply to
Peter Scales

This Sulzer looks very much like the 4cyl. Mirrlees Bickerton & Day engine recovered from Barton locks on the Manchester Ship Canal, now at the Anson Museum . It was engine number 35 from Stockport, made in 1907 and was intended to pump back lockage water as at that time MSC were concerned about the increased traffic causing water shortage. As it happens the pumps at Barton , Mode Wheel & Latchford were never used , except for testing . I suspect that the engine at Latchford is still in situ.( it was 10 years ago) Did Mirrlees copy the Sulzer design , or vice versa? Robert

Reply to
Bob Holmes

recovered from Barton

All were built under license from Diesel but the Sulzer design dates from 1903, Mirrlees from 1897. Mirrlees moved the compressor to the end of the crank rather than piggy back on the block as the Sulzer is.

Mode Wheel and Latchford are still in-situ but apparently pretty rough now, there are several other air blast Mirrlees up and down the country though.

As I understood it the engine at The Anson was a Glasgow built engine rather than Stockport, one or both of the others was Stockport built.

We are just awaiting some air bottles now for starting and blast, starting bottles are maintained at 900 psi, blast maintained at 650 psi.

Cheers Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

Very nice engine, good to see that you will be running it.

Do they run the 1897 MAN engine in the Deutsches Museum? I thought they used to start it up, maybe I am mistaken...

There is a 1904 Sulzer here at a museum in Auckland, 3 cylinder, will hopefully be run one day.

Reply to
Peter Short