Import duties from Europe to Canada

Hello everybody,
I wanted to ask about import duties when buying model railroad equipment in Europe, more specifically in Austria or Germany, and
importing it to Canada (Ont.). From what I understood you first pay duties, the level of which appears to be difficult to assess, and then taxes. Any experiences as to how much duty one typically has to pay?
Best wishes,
David

Why would the duties be difficult to assess? Above the duties, there is the GST of seven percent.
Cheers, John
John Fraser wrote:

um...GST is 6 percent now.
Also, I bought some Z scale Marklin turnouts last year from Austria and I don't remember it being anything to worry too much about. Order was around a coupla hundred bucks but still, if duties etc... were substantial I'd remember. I don't remember...so don't worry too much about it.
Pete in Calgary, Alberta, GWN
Good morning Pete;

You're right, the GST is 6%. I purchased OO scale cars while in Portsmouth 20 years ago. I don't recall the import duties was excessive, but it was only for a few cars. Sorry if I only added to the confusion.
Cheers, John
Are you talking bulk or just peices for your use? If it is just a small amount (say mail order) you will likely pay taxes only and a brokerage fee. If it is post office the borkerage fee is usually in the $5 to $10 range. Do not have the items shipped UPS, cannot say this enough, they will rob you blind in brokerage fees.
If you are shipping stuff over in bulk you will likely have to pay some duty on top of taxes...

Have you asked the Canadian Post authorities or tried thier website before bothering us with this off topic stuff? RMR is already drowning in spam we don't need this distraction either.
Why are people so lazy today they don't spend 10 minutes doing any research?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

If he didn't ask for someone with experience, he could always depend on one of you idiot trolls to answer.
fl@liner
On Jun 28, 8:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@afu.com (fl@liner) wrote:

Who is the troll Mathu or you?
Are there smart trolls?