Thresher Mill

Have to dispose of a old barn type thresher mill which is in fair condition - offered it to a local museum group but if they don't take up the offer in a reasonable time then it is for breaking and burning - would anybody be interested in the mechanical parts if it comes to that, wouldn't like to see it go completely to waste - bit of a problem with locality though, small scottish island. - Giving the museum another 10 days before breaking - Mick

Reply to
Mick

Hi Mick,

Please tell us more. What sort of state is it in, what island is it on etc. How difficult would it be to move it - is there a regular ferry, for instance.

Sounds fascinating!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

It is in a pretty fair state really - made by Wm Leslie of Kinellar, Scotland - Signs of a little woodworm to the top but still solid, someone put some infected timber in the barn about 3 years ago - The drum looks rusty but all the brackets/bearings are in very good condition - Not really sure what to look at to give a better report - Have got 15 photo's which I didn't compress too far so as to leave in enough detail - as its against a wall it is a little difficult to photograph - total files are about 1MB but I am on unmetered connection so could email with no problem - The island is Graemsay in Orkney - Ferry to Stromness is daily but cargo only on Tues.Wed & Friday, lift on/off by hiab up to 1.5 to 2 tons depending on reach - Only a short distance from croft to pier - We think it might have to be stripped to get it out of the barn as it is believed it was lifted in before the roof was put on in the 1950's - email address with spamtrap snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com take away the 'c' from mick

Mick

Reply to
Mick

hello, realise this is a very old thread, but I am currently restoring one of these old mills and looking for any pictures/ information. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
Pat