Victoria Engine Day Photos

Gentlemen.

Last Saturday a get together of Bristol Wagon & Carriage Works engine enthusiasts took place at the Beechgrove Collection. A total of thirty one and a half Victoria engines were present along with a rare Scottish Acme engine. Pictures of the above and some of the Beechgrove collection can be found at:

http://community.webshots/user/pistonring Regards

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

Whoops!

Sorry. I missed out the .com. The link should read:

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

Thanks John. A splendid collection and an obviously enjoyable day. I was under the impression that the very earliest had governing of both valves?? Given the decline in engines at most rallies do such events represent the future I wonder? regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Thanks John some real nice engines

Reply to
Nick Holden

I was under the impression that the very earliest had governing of both valves??

Yes there was a method of governing of both valves that was patented by E Rooke (Chief Engineer) in 1908 on the 7HP Engine. This seems to have been dropped when the company moved away from battery and coil ignition to magneto. To my knowledge no versions of this early governing system exist today. To confuse things further some 7HP Victorias govern on the exhaust valve while others on the inlet valve like the other sizes of Victoria.

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

To my knowledge no versions of this early governing system exist today.

An email from Roland saying that he had seen a Victoria with the early style of governing prompted me to look again at the information I have and I may be in error here. The early governing system mentioned by Roland uses an internal sliding cam that is moved away from the inlet valve push rod stopping it lifting the inlet valve when the exhaust valve is held open. To be honest I now realise I have watched the action of this governing system on the exhaust valve on some seven horse Victorias in the past and cannot recall noticing the inlet valve was not lifting.

I'm only human!!

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

A similar system was used by Lister on thier large early engines.

Mart> To my knowledge no versions of this early governing system

Reply to
Campingstoveman