Welder help

Gentlemen, I have recently been given what I'm told is a TIG attachment for a welder. The problem I have is that I know nothing about the unit and little about TIG though I have used it (TIG that is) The unit measures 12" W x 18" L x9" H. The case is a one piece steel top with rounded corners, handles at each end and a removable steel base. It is maroon with a black base. There is a name plate on top which reads: BOC (intertwined letters) HIHG FREQUENCY UNIT FOR USE WITH ARGONARC WELDING PROCESS. Serial No 83 SA 024 There is a 240V mains lead with a 13A plug, a thin cable with a foot switch on it and a thick unlabelled welding cable with a cable lug on it. There is a bolt terminal labelled Connect to Work and a large shrouded terminal labelled Electrode Holder. There is a small viewing window in the top measuring about 2" x 3". There's nothing interesting to see though. I am told that the unit works and is meant to supplement an Oxford Welder. Does anyone know what this is and have any details, possibly even a handbook. Thanks

John

Reply to
John Manders

Hi John

In message , John Manders writes

It's definitely a TIG adapter - Argon Arc was the old name for TIG. The HF units avoid the need for doing a 'scratch' start and your tungsten pencil will last longer and you will stand less chance of contaminating your welds with tungsten inclusions :-)

I have no paperwork, sorry. I imagine you plug it in and connect it in parallel with your Oxford set. When you want to start welding, bring your TIG torch up to correct welding distance, pull the gas/juice trigger, and stand on the foot switch to the HF unit. The HF unit will generate a nice high frequency current and the welding arc will automagically start without you needing to touch the pencil to the job. Once the arc is running, it ought not to need the HF to continue burning, so you'd probably get off the foot switch..

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

[snip]

There is a sort of schematic / general info to be found on

see_reply_to_address