whatisit? on ebay

Only one crank throw, no apparent 'hot cap' so doesn't look like the usual sort of hot air engine. Could be a flame licker vacuum engine or perhaps a non-compression toy IC engine. Anybody recognise it?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I collect hot air engines but I don't think the engine mentioned is one. I did own a small engine made about 1905 that seems vaguely like the one displayed. I sold my engine because gas these days isn't the same for running small engines.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

Dave Croft

1290 views as of this morning...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi ,I just had a chat with Bob Sear about that engine. He agrees with me that it isn't a Hot Air engine. If you look at the middle picture you can see a small tube under the middle of the cylinder. This could be the ignition flame for a small low compression gas engine. The one I owned ran the same way with the ignition flame being sucked in as the piston passed a small hole near the flame. Mine was on the side but this could be underneath.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

Dave Croft

Gentlemen, I can almost certainly identify this as a Carrette Gas engine, I have a slightly larger water cooled, hot tube, rotary valve version of the same period. I also have paperwork, somewhere, out of a catalogue of the period showing pictures of mine and the Ebay engine. Carrette where a Belgium/French company which made toys etc of which these are.

Martin P

Photos of which I shall put up in the usual place

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Those were the lines I was thinking along, although, if it was continental would it bear a Pat number? More likely Bvte or DRGM. ISTR the people who made the Leek engine originally produced something like this.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Might be amongst the adverts in the Vol1 Model Engineer ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Price took a bit of a leap in the last hour of bidding!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I am not going to complain :-))

Reply to