009 (again)

Thinking of curve radii ...
SWB "tippler" wagons and the like ... 6" minimum radius (As say found in a
quarry)
Bogie passenger stock ...12" minimum radius (As say chugging up a Welsh
hillside behind a double-Fairley)
... acceptable values??? Comments please as I'm currently drawing out new
plans.
For guidance I'm thinking of having 040T SWB engines working a Quarry and
062T operating an associated passenger line.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
I believe the minimum radius on the FR running lines (the only place you would find a Double Fairlie on a Welsh hillside!) is 2 chains, and that is (was?) on the curve into the platform at harbour station. This scales out to about 21", so with normal modellers compression, you will probably get away with 12". For quarry stuff, you can use whatever you like - 6" does seem to be used for 009 layouts!
Paul Boyd
Reply to
Paul Boyd
Cheers Paul, I'm not intending to run anything bigger than a W&L 062T ... it was the size of the passenger stock that I intend to use I was trying to illustrate. Your figures make sense though. I can easily make the visible sections of my passenger line 20" radius or thereabouts and the hidden loop 12" ... the way I'm designing it the quarry lines and the passenger line are almost entirely separate, only coming together (in any practical sense) at an engine shed.
Reply to
Chris Wilson