16mm on 'O' Gauge track?

Is this an appropriate NG for discussing model engineering
in the above scale? (It seems on first glance to be a NG
for the toy scales - OO and N mainly, rather than for
the reputable engineering scales)
Before you suggest it - I've already tried uk.rec.models.engineering,
and they seem to be more concerned with buying lathes rather
than using them, and my query to the group just resulted in a
lot of smartass comments.
Reply to
Polymath
"Polymath" wrote
It *might* be appropriate, but only if there's any expertise on here to help with your discussion.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
What I am interested to discover is the standards for coupling and buffing gear, and the loading gauge in terms of maximum width and height - I have in mind the Eaton Hall 15" railway, or the Woolwich Arsenal 18" railways, but would like to think that I could inter-run with 16mmO people, should I ever find any!
Reply to
Polymath
I dont think That Narrow gauge modellers use any standard couplings but either what suits them or what was fitted to the item being modelled. O : 16.5 would be 2'3" at 7mm to the foot. Your going towards the 10 mm to 12 mm scale. 10 was used but not populier. So you are falling between the 7mm scale and the 16 mm scale. both having society's aimed to them.
any thing around 7 mm scale meaning 9mm track for your Eaton (some kits and are made to fit this)
Reply to
Trev
Those would hardly be 16mm scale on O-gauge track. You'll end up with a mix'n'match of scales to the same gauge. Rather like LGB where anything from 2ft gauge to standard gauge all runs on the same track.
Even if you restrict it to 2ft gauge prototypes you will get a wide variety of loading gauges, centre and side buffer, coupling heights etc - matching each prototype railway you use.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
Try the 16mm Yahoo group:
Everything you ever wanted to know, (and many you didn't ;-) are discussed there.
Reply to
Lambing Flat
Thank-you to all those that replied. I am now in touch with the national 16mm group.
Reply to
Polymath
When this group was set up 16mm scale was set as the largest scale.
Paul
Reply to
Paul Stevenson
If you're interested in minimum gauge railways - Heywood 15" gauge and 18" gauge then it's probably worth looking at
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com
The members of that are a mixture of modellers and those interested in these prototypes at full size so would collectively probably have a lot of the information you're after and are unlikely to give you smartass comments. It really annoys me when people established in one area of modelling do that to a newcomer though your reference to the "toy" scales won't go down too well either and I'm not sure what you mean by reputable.
Reply to
david.thomas967