Advice on gauging/widths of OO models

To a Hornby ringfield tender drive??

[I assume you meant axles when you typed "ales"!]
Reply to
MartinS

Vacuum effect at 1:76? Actual speed

Reply to
MartinS

His question was about the _minimum_ for RTR scale rolling stock. No mention of prototype operation. Hence my answer.

Reply to
MartinS

Ah yes, but a protoype issue, not a modelling issue!

On the (real) TGV it's a good job the track spacing is wider than on the ECML, for instance. A 20-car, 394m train travelling in the opposite direction at a relative speed of 600km/h takes 2.4 seconds to pass. In the Chunnel the tracks are in separate bores, and the emergency crossover half way is closed off with sliding doors. Even so, speed through the tunnel is limited to 160km/h. The train nose was designed for optimum airflow in the tunnel.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" <

Could never figure out how to get it to load and run. :-(

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

No probs here - well, nothing I couldn't handle.

Driving the London Underground is interesting - especially if you substitute an Australian steam loco.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , MartinS writes

Fair enough, but I was extrapolating from the word "model" in the name of the newsgroup.

After all, using the attitude of "It's my railway and I can do what I like", you can use whatever track separation you like for your railway.

Reply to
John Sullivan

It's more realistic than saying "I want my model to reflect the protoype in all aspects." Some people strive for that, and I have no problem with that but, as stated, all modelling involves a degree of compromise.

Reply to
MartinS

I'm used to nothing being available in New Zealand!

The potential problem is that the tyre groove will hook over the rail head and lead to derailments.

I don't use Kadees :-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I laid a section with 6mm spacing in HO! :-) (It's called interlacing - how to get double track across a single track bridge without turnouts)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

=>I laid a section with 6mm spacing in HO! :-) =>(It's called interlacing - how to get double track across a single track =>bridge without turnouts)

"Gantlet track" is the usual term for this in NAmerica. But no one knows why. :-) Also used to put point off to one side of a road when two tracks are needed to service two loading docks on t'other side of the road.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

=>The potential problem [with removing traction tires] is that the tyre groove will hook over the rail head =>and lead to derailments.

Fill the groove with epoxy.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It happens to some extent, but the groove is quite shallow. The worst problem is the way the front pony truck is attached; it derails too easily on curves and points. The chassis is weighted to put the weight on the front and centre (tyred) drivers; the rear drivers float. If I can find a way to overcome that, it might ride better. Of course, I could always buy a new Hornby or Bachmann 2-6-4T.....

I got fed up of the clunky plastic hook & loop couplers, and the huge space between the non-corridor coaches. The Kadees reduce this somewhat, are less obtrusive, and provide much easier manual uncoupling.

If I can source more NEM Kadees, I can easily adapt my collection of Dapol, Airfix, Mainline and Bachmann goods wagons. On my LMS corridor coaches, I am using Keen Systems close couplers and floating end plates. The couplers extend on curves and retract on the straight, and with the floating "corridor connections" give a much more realistic appearance.

Reply to
MartinS

Bother, I was going to ask "why"? ;-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

will hook over the rail head

Preferably conductive epoxy!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

So you only get shallow derailments? ;-)

Sounds like you need to revise the springing of the front truck.

There's not much that loads of money can't fix!

I've always wanted to see the prototypes of those couplers! :-]

I haven't come across Keen couplers.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Springing? It don't have any springs. It's a Hornby.

Too right mate!!

They're quite ingenious -

MartinS

Oww Errr... I think we're on the trail of the problem!

Fit springing - it only takes a little tension.

I know the next arguement: "the spring will reduce tractive effort". Simple answer: "the spring reduces tractive effort less than the loco derailing does." Second answer: "add weight."

I've got a lot that needs fixing - send money!" ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

If you could see how the pony truck is attached, you'd see what I'm up against. It's possible that a slight widening of the wheel spacing may alleviate the problem to some extent; I could also try a small weight.

Reply to
MartinS

Perhaps if you hold it real close to the screen with the lights on?

I can't imagine that! What about a flattened "

Reply to
Gregory Procter