Am I being paranoid or is someone out to get me?

fbi.gov shirley?

Reply to
Graeme Wall

Has gov been around that long ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

" Do you mean they dont use domain fbi.org - The rotters "

No ! they use Fake Boob Inspectors.com

Reply to
Dragon Heart

That photo,

, now I think about it looks like part of Area 51 as it was back in the 50's.

Dont worry about the FBI, but the MIB may pay a visit !

Dragon Heart

In message , Dragon Heart writes

ROTFL

Love it, love it, love it :-)))

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Obscurity via counter dis-information of the the dis-information.

Steve the Other

-- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.

Working the rockie road of the G&PX

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Mike I am sure a number of nations have added your basement to their targeting computers!

Tony

Reply to
Any

You set up the account then the fake IP address disappears after a few days

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

You set up the account then the fake IP address disappears after a few days

Chris

Thats just a temporary account - its easier to use big ISP and get a dynamic address every time - thats anonymous to all except the ISP. Fake should be something different.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , at

14:52:51 on Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Dragon Heart remarked:

Disappears in what sense? Stops being announced by their upstream, gets de-registered by the LIR or RIR??

Reply to
Roland Perry

Methinks someone upthread doesn't know what an IP address is.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Nope. Sometimes it is, sometimes not. It's not in your message.

Again, not necessarily. And the DNS name is not purely for mortals to use.

You're confusing the address and path that the message takes and the IP addresses that are used to transfer packets, and you're *really* confusing the different ways that email and newsgroup postings are transferred.

Spammers will fake email addresses and cause that kind of effect; they may also (to an extent) include fake IP addresses in message headers, but those are different from the addresses that are actually used to transfer the message. "Pinging" (which has a number of more or less formal meanings) is irrelevant.

Hardly ever useful and any reputable blacklist knows that.

Sam (with 20-odd years in networking)

Reply to
Sam Wilson

When I post this, the IP address of my router with this machine tacked on the end will be inserted into the header of the message. Also included will be the name corresponding to the textual address as found on a name server (akin to looking up someones postal address from their phone number in the phone book - the name is purely for us mortals use), so something like

123.456.789.012 scroggins.scroggins.com

If I were a spammer or didn't want to be traced for some reason I could edit the message so those two would be purley fictitious. You wouldn't be able to reply, but then that's the plan. The "internet" never looks back to where a message came from unless it cannot be delivered, in which case it will wonder about a bit, find no valid sender, and fade away.

Often spammers will use someone else's valid address to make it look good (and, should someone look, by say "pinging" the address and getting a response, it may appear valid) - that's when you start getting thousands of replies to messages you never sent!

There's also other cunning plans that effectively pick a machine somewhere and use that ones IP instead, thus the connection between the actual sender and the observed sender is pretty much untraceable but the poor souls machine appears to the sender - and they get blacklisted!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I was simply trying to explain it in simple terms.

Cheers Richard BSc Hons Comp. Sci

Reply to
beamendsltd

At the risk of sounding totally patronising (oy, you at the back, quiet!) when you want to try to explain something simply it's best to choose your examples so that you don't have to retract them later.

I'm sure most of us remember parents or teachers telling us things that later turned out not to be true.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

You are confusing the envelope and the header.

If A wants to send a message to C but, C is blocking A then A can put a return-path to C in the message and send the message to B. If B's MTA is poorly configured it might accept the message but, if it is configured sensibly it will bounce the message to C. It's called backscatter.

A well configured MTA will not accept mail from a bogus address. A well configured MTA will only accept from an address which resolves both forward and reverse DNS.

There is nothing particularly simple about the e-mail protocols. If you spend time looking though them you will probably be amazed that it works at all.

Paul

-- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.

Working the rockie road of the G&PX

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

No. The original stuff was about faking an IP address. They're not generally in the envelope and the ones in the message header can't sensibly be faked. He's confusing IP addresses with email addresses. He then talks about the IP address of his router being included in his posting. It's not.

... and the example he uses is in a news posting which has nothing to do with MTAs.

I'm biting back a comment about how easily confused you must be.... :-)

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Are you referring to sendmail - esp the rules. Havent looked for a while (maybe version 10) but they were fun. Gave up very quickly and passed it on to a willling person with a sick mind.

I've had to dabble with TCP networking over the years but as a secondary task so understood what had to.. Apps like smtp require a conversation, so if you send an 'open' with a fake ip address (using IP routing) then the reply to that 'open' will not reach the originator. That is if I've understood something correctly, hence the question of how can you use a fake ip address ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

?????

You were saying what about the oujamathingy now?

Serves me right for not being quiet at the back... once again, I'll get me coat...

Reply to
darkprince66

?????

You said what about the oujamathingy now?

serves me right, I knew I should have been quiet at the back...

Reply to
darkprince66