Bachmann 37/0 haulage test.

Since the weather today is so reasonable (5 degrees Celsius and not much wind around these parts) I decided to try a haulage test on D6826.

For this test, I used normal bog-standard Dapol goods wagons, with tension lock couplings and complete with the built-in weight. This means: - that it is only really possible to perform the test on the straight, because any deviation from a straight line will cause the tension- lock couplings to pull the wagons off the track. Replacing them with Kadees will, of course, solve this. - that if I removed all the weights, the loco would be capable of pulling many more wagons.

Here we go: - On the level the locomotive will pull 100 wagons. - Up a 1 in 78 incline the locomotive will pull 70 wagons.

(I also have kit-built 72XX and 5205 class locos, and their haulage capacity is similar.)

Reply to
John Sullivan

John Sullivan wrote:-

Does your example pull equally well in both directions as mine is noticeably better No1 end first?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

Sorry, I only tried it one way. I'll have another go tomorrow if the weather is still good.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Just out of interest John, and as you have the test facilities in your garden, what rtr loco has the most haulage capacity?

Merry Xmas to you.

Simon

Reply to
piemanlarger

In message , piemanlarger writes

Of the ones I've tested it would appear to be the Heljan class 47, unless you also want to include my American 4-unit electric loco in that.

Reply to
John Sullivan

I'd love to be able to test my Broadway "A" class on your layout. It took

130 bachman 14 ton tankers around our club layout, including up the curved incline!

Apparently the Heljan weston seems to be a good hauler, but I dont think it would achieve the above. I think the hornby class 50 is the best rtr Brit loco I have seen so far.

Reply to
piemanlarger

Can't be bad, if some of us put a 4 Unit loco on our layouts we wouldn't have the room to hitch anything up to it. ;-(

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Careful Simon, you'll get the chat for "Top Posting"..................hope you're not using OE.................are you going to chat him, John ???

Reply to
44211