Bricks and Mortar - in the good ol' days

Brickwork in pre 1900 UK buildings in the East Anglian area. If I use

9"(L) x 4.5"(W) and allow say 10-11mm for mortar, would be I be far out in my estimations when counting bricks to obtain measurements ?? The building I am taking measurements from was built around 1860-1870(ish)

If it makes any difference, the bricks are red.

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Draconus

This site may help:

Ian

Reply to
Ian Clarke

Re the brick measurements, the 4 1/2 inch width is not much use , as that is usually in the wall thickness and so not seen, the height, 3 inches, is more easily seen. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Thanks, but I'm looking at a header/stretcher type bond, so the width of the brick is important in this particular case.

Appreciate the feedback (as always). Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Draconus

Thats useful information Ian, many thanks - another site to go in my 'References' list !

Cheers

Reply to
Draconus

Bill.

That's only true of modern stretcher bond brickwork. Older buildings are very often Flemish or English bond where the width of the bricks is clearly visible. With English bond you can still work from only knowing

either the length or width since the rows alternate between all headers or all stretchers. It's a little more difficult with Flemish as the headers and stretchers are interleaved on every row.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Yes, headers and stretchers must be considered if one is only working out lengths, even then the dimensions are a multiple of 4 1/2 inches but for heights the 3 inch dimension must be considered. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce