Coming home!!!

The message from Graeme Eldred contains these words:

Lousy beer up there!

Reply to
Colin Reeves

< big snip >

C'mon Alistair - that's Jerry you're talking about. Neither netiquette not spelling are of any great importance to him!

TOS

Reply to
The Old Salt

Bollox :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Didn't you need planning permission for something that size?

Reply to
MartinS

In message , Colin Reeves writes

This from the country that brought us Carling, Boddingtons and John Smiths? Don't make me laugh.

Reply to
James Christie

Prob depends where you live. If its a green belt area or a controlled housing development, then almost certainly. If you're lucky enough to live in the countryside (like me), you only need planning permission for alterations or building a house. Everything else comes under the banner 'agricultural buildings'. So you can fling up/pull down a barn, garages, sheds galore etc (as we and my neighbours do all the time.

Reply to
James Christie

James,

It was even worse. I started my working life in London in 1960 and the English beer of choice then was Watneys Draft Red Barrel. I started drinking Guiness then :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

You obviously have not tried Skullsplitter or Raven - see . Or you can brew your own...

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

We have a fairly large back garden so it does not dominate our view, but I dont think you need planning permission anyway .However a call to your local planners at the council would clarify things.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

Some useful information is on this site

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

In message , Jim Guthrie writes

Don't be ridiculous. Watneys was ridiculed by the cognoscenti then, just as it is now. It was even mentioned in Monty Python's "Torremolinos" sketch. Almost anything was better than Watneys Red Barrel.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , Alistair Wright writes

People who equate the M25 with car parks usually have no idea what they're talking about. When was the last time you drove round your nearest supermarket's car park at 70 m.p.h.

I used to travel to and from work for 40 miles in each direction during the rush hour via the M25. The number of times the motorway was at a standstill was very low. I got held up for more than 100% of my normal journey time at most five times in six years, and this was during the time when they were widening the southern section to 4 lanes each way. I used the motorway in preference to A and B roads and backstreets because it was generally quicker, even though the distance was longer.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I moved in 1973 from a town that had two breweries and a pub for every two hundred inhabitants to Bristol. There, the Monopolies Commission had decided that Courage (whose beer was dreadful at the time, pre-Directors) had too large a share of the local tied trade. They compelled Courage to sell off part of their holdings. Sadly, the purchaser was Grotneys- at that point, I started drinking Guinness, and subsequently wine. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Well, someone must have loved it since that was about the only beer you could get :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

But at least it 'is' beer and not frothy dishwater!!! 3 years apprenticeship near Aylesbury in the early 80's was enough to give me cause to "import" my own canned supply anytime I got the chance to return North of the border, and I'm not a big drinker. Must admit, I've tasted a couple of semi-decent brews down Yeovil way though.

Well said Bruce, oh and don't forget Tomintoul Stag, or Glenlivet Stag, or whatever they're calling it this month! :-)

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Okay, but I've NEVER managed to maintain a speed over 50mph on the M25, on any of the few occasions I've had to use it. I have, on the other hand, remained stationary for more than 15 minutes on each occasion. Now, by definition, a car park is somewhere you park - i.e. stop and apply the handbrake, possibly even switch off the engine. This must surely therefore indeed make the M25 the "London Orbital Car Park", even if it is involuntary parking.

Visit the North of Scotland, unless you go to Aberdeen you'll never see a traffic jam as such, hold-ups are due to accidents and tractors, not sheer volume of traffic. Live up here for a couple of years and you'll wonder why anyone would wish to live in the South. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Since when can you drive around the M25 at 70 mph?

So how often was your journey time say another third longer. That might be a better stat. for the argument I think you're trying to make.

Reply to
Robert Gauld

Just that here (in Ontario) I was told that a permit was required for outbuildings more than (IIRC) 10 m², plus they had to be at least 1m from the boundary line and a certain distance (5m?) from the house.

Reply to
MartinS

I seem to remember that reasonable beer was available near Aylesbury at that time, at least if you looked hard enough. Of course I now live in a town that has its own independent brewery (McMullens, Hertford).

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton