Coming home!!!

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Absolutely. Ploughs are out early - big 'un for the roads, and a baby one for the pavements.

Dunno - my commute used to be into London every day. Now it is through a door, from my kitchen to my shop :-)

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

Don't live in Beech Road do you Bob?

Reply to
Badger

The message from James Christie contains these words:

That's right - we just export that stuff up to Scotland and keep the good beer to ourselves ... ;-)

Reply to
Colin Reeves

The message from Bruce Fletcher contains these words:

Thought Orkney was part of Norway, not Scotland (spiritually anyway)?!

Reply to
Colin Reeves

The message from "Alistair Wright" contains these words:

No longer - the M60 now has that accolade!

Reply to
Colin Reeves

Got it in one :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Spiritually close to Norway but part of Scotland for the last 700 years. Civilised too - I've been here for a year now and have never locked my house or the car, I couldn't have got away with that in England...

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

That's the same for a lot of places in Scotland. When at home I never lock anything (Car, house, outbuildings etc). There's just no need to, as crime doesn't really exist out here. In fact in the 9 years I've lived at the present address, I've only seen a Police Car twice, the first time they were giving one of our older residents a lift home with their shopping, and the second time they were looking for someone. When I have friends from England up to stay, they're absolutely amazed. And they come from quite a wide spectrum, Scarborough, Grimsby, Manchester, Falmouth, Penzance and Newcastle. Do you take part in the Uppies v Downies 'football' match, Bruce?

Reply to
James Christie

We live on Stronsay so would have to take the ferry to mainland Orkney for the Ba' game. In any case, it's really a game for the "locals" and not "ferry loupers" like us who have only lived here for a year.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

In message , Bruce Fletcher writes

What's happening with the Master of the Queen's Musick? We heard he was being questioned for having a dead swan on his premises, but have heard nothing since. I would have thought that since this was a migrating bird and not a mute swan (and therefore not the property of his boss), and that it died by coming into contact with some overhead electricity transmission lines, he would have nothing to worry about

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Yes, the police were paying a visit to Sanday and saw a swan hung up outside Sir Peter's cottage so they called in and took away the bird. Another, unconfirmed, rumour is that someone phoned the police to tip them off - we rarely see (or need) the police on the Northern Isles. Sir Peter had asked the RSPB about what to do with dead swans and had, he believed, been given carte blance to do what he wished with the carcase. One of our local, weekly papers - "The Orcadian" - reported it thus: "The national and international press have leapt with great gusto on the story of Sir Peter Maxwell Davies' brush with the law last weekend. The Sanday-based composer, who was appointed Master of the Queen's Music last year, had his home searched by police after they spotted a dead swan outside. Sir Peter, who planned to eat the bird, has stressed that the bird was dead when he found it. He had reported it to the RSPB, who asked him to dispose of it."

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher