COMM: Selling a few items on eBay

Hi all

Just wanting to let you know I am moving a bit of train gear on ..... doing it on eBay

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

URL doesnt work

Reply to
Birdman

"Birdman" wrote

It did for me.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes it does.

Reply to
Steve W

True, but delivery from Aus is gonna probably cost more than the item would !

Reply to
Jeff McGhie

Postage from Australia is among the cheapest in the world.

Cheaper than USA, UK and Canada. And with the exchange rate, it makes buying from Australia very attractive when compared to the prices things fetch in the UK. For example a 1 Kilogram parcel only costs 6.45GBP via sea or 9GBP Air. That's the weight of two packed locos, therefore if a loco is worth

35GBP each on average, the additional cost is only between 3 and 4.5GBP.

I don't charge for packing labour or materials.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Dear Steve,

You may not be aware - living in Australia - that all shipments to the UK totalling 18GBP or above are charged VAT at 17.5% plus post office or courier collection fee of at least 4.5GBP. That is why most of my imports are broken down into as many small shipments as possible.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Hi Kim - thanks for the post

WOW what a rip off! We only get charged GST for personally imported items valued at over $200....and even then I am yet to get hit with it at all. In addition, how can a post office get away with charging a fee for getting your parcel? Isn't that the point of a postal system - that the fee paid on the stamp gets it to you or your post office?

strange and wonderful - or have I missed something as is likely?

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

That's becuase it costs the Australian govt more to collect tax on smaller shipments than the revenue it generates and I'm not convinced the British system is any more efficient.

Royal Mail, Parcel Force and the private courier companies collect the tax on behalf of HM Customs & Excise. They say the fee - which is on a sliding scale and is much higher for more expensive items - is to purely cover their expenses. Royal Mail refuses to deliver charged items to the door so there is the additional expense of collecting them from the local sorting office. For someone living in a remote area that could be considerable.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Total rip off in my opinion.

The last parcel I got from the USA resulted in a GBP3.75 VAT payment plus a charge of GBP4.00 from Parcel Farce for collecting it!

Also because of the congested state of our roads it generally takes around

90 minutes to get to their office (only about 3 miles away), plus a wait as the staff chat amongst themselves rather than concentrate on what they're supposed to be doing.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You can have it delivered to your local post office for 50p.

Andrew

Reply to
google

wrote

That's true, but in my case I'd already paid to have it delivered to my home address I think the Post Office have a naffing cheek to even contemplate such a charge.

In the good old days they would deliver such a packet to your door and collect the duty. Now it seems it's all too much trouble.

John

Reply to
John Turner

I could if they hadn't closed them all!

My nearest post office is now the same distance from me as the sorting office and the queue is a lot longer.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

What kind of cheek is a naffing cheek? I don't know that word "naffing", although it does have a very negative ring to it. I do hope it is not vulgar. SM: Ocean Springs

Ocean Springs

It comes from the expression "naff off" which originated in the BBC television comedy series "Porridge" about some people who were banged up at her majesty's pleasure. The story is that they wanted an expression that was, er, vulgar, but wasn't one of the usual swear words, so wouldn't precipitate thousands of complaints from Mr and Mrs Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

So I'm afraid to say that in my opinion, yes, it is vulgar.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I suspect that John has used it in place if f**king :-)

The verb to 'naff' is normally used as a replacement for the verb to 'f**k' :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

But politely vulgar! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

Lol - you suspect wrong, it used naffing without any consideration of the 'king alternative.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The *only* things Canada Post delivers to my door are items requiring a signature and/or a payment (e.g. tax and service fee on imports). I can even pay the postie by credit card. If I'm not home I pick it up from the nearest sub-post office - no additional charge. Everything else is delivered to a so-called "super mailbox" down the end of the street.

Reply to
MartinS

Well, if you didn't, we did :-)

JIm.