Common return wiring

OO, conventional 12V sectional control. The layout has no return loops. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't wire the entire thing up with one common continuous rail and all the rail breaks/sectional switches being on the "other" side?

R.

Reply to
Richard

I suggest that you not rely on rail joiners to link the common path, rather put a heavy gauge copper wire return under the board and frequent droppers from the rail to the return.

You might want to consider future expansion, when a more sophisticated circuit (both rail and electrical ) might be more appropriate.

Reply to
Brian Schofield

"Richard" wrote

No reason whatsoever. This is the normal basis for most cab control systems. In its simplest form, you would just replace the on-off switches with

2/multi way switches connected to 2/several controllers. The only restriction is that each controller must have a separate a/c supply.
Reply to
Terry O'Brien

With the possible exception of passing loops using turnouts with electrically switched rails, there should be no problems with your scheme - I use it.

Reply to
Gregory Procter