DJH gearboxes

I'm considering the DJH 2-6-0 Standard 4 (tender) ... rather surprised, though, at the price of their own gearbox & motor. £45.00 seems a lot for a

50:1 box plus Mashima 1224 motor.

What do others think?

TIA

David

Reply to
David N

Yeah, its a lot, try Branchlines or High Level, or even Ultrascale!

Branchlines no website yet.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

The DJH website shows the Gearbox at 17 kit or 20 assembled, and the

1224 at 17. Max of 39 not 45. But 17 for a Mashima 1224 is OT, normal price is between 10 and 13, Alan Gibson quotes 13 in his 2004 catalogue and will sell you a 38:1 gearbox for another 10.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Thanks .. the Tower site offers the AM10 for £45 which, it seems, is the gearbox assembled and already meshed to the motor properly. DJH price is the same.

Someone of the group has suggested the 1024 is smaller and more powerful and could be fitted to sit down between the frames... suggestion was a Comet

38:1 gearbox.

I think I've heard enough to get me looking for the 'right' combination for a while. I think I'll buy the kit and buy the drive later, once I can see what will fit where.

David

Reply to
David N

Thanks .. the Tower site offers the AM10 for £45 which, it seems, is the gearbox assembled and already meshed to the motor properly. DJH price is the same.

Someone off-group has suggested the 1024 is smaller and more powerful and could be fitted to sit down between the frames... suggestion was a Comet

38:1 gearbox.

I think I've heard enough to get me looking for the 'right' combination for a while. I think I'll buy the kit and buy the drive later, once I can see what will fit where.

David

Reply to
David N

Sorry, you are right, the DJH website has the VAT in very small print, hence even their Mashima is 20 pounds inc VAT, other suppliers include VAT so the difference is even bigger. Keith