glue advice

Can anyone recommed a glue that will "take" on the sorts of 'slippery' plastic that bogies tend to be made out of.. I have to lower the coupling on an atlas bo-bo chassis. I also have taken opportunity to shorten the shank on the coupling but superglue doesn't take on the plastic.

many thanks in advance.

UncleWobbly

Waxy-plastic is not easy but I once succeeded on Lima bogie frames when lowering the height of the side bearings.....rough the area up first, clean it and use an epoxy adhesive like Araldite "Precision"....not your five minute stuff.

What you could also do is drill fine holes in both parts and cut a pin, or something similar, into small lengths...glue the pins, place them into the holes in one part and then some more adhesive and join both parts together....then LEAVE for 2-3 days in a warm area.

The parts which I glued, 2-3 yrs ago, are still holding their own....!!

Colin....

Reply to
Colin Meredith

I've not tried it but it sounded worth a look at the DIY places--- spotted something for sticking plastic guttering together, labeled 'PVC cement' and sold in tins the size of a small evostic--PVC is one of those 'sticky' and difficult plastics...No idea what the 'ingredients' were but it sounds interesting.

Reply to
.

No conventional adhesive, solvent, or epoxy will work on Delrin or similar "engineering plastics" that are typically used for this kind of application. However, over here in the States they're recently come out with a new thing called "Cyanopoxy" that WILL securely fasten these plastics... and just about anything else. It's NOT cheap... in fact, rather pricey... but it will do things no other glue/adhesive/epoxy will. Try a Google search on "Cyanopoxy" for more info.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Try De-Luxe, Super Crylic should do it.

But for couplers its best to use a screw or pin as well, its hard enough to glue this stuff and couplers take a lot of stress.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Thanks to everyone who has posted - plenty to play with - thanks

Reply to
UncleWobbly

=>In article , "UncleWobbly" => wrote: =>

=>>Can anyone recommed a glue that will "take" on the sorts of 'slippery' =>>plastic that bogies tend to be made out of.. I have to lower the coupling on =>>an atlas bo-bo chassis. I also have taken opportunity to shorten the shank =>>on the coupling but superglue doesn't take on the plastic. =>>

=>>many thanks in advance. =>>

=>>H =>

=>No conventional adhesive, solvent, or epoxy will work on Delrin or similar =>"engineering plastics" that are typically used for this kind of =>application. However, over here in the States they're recently come out =>with a new thing called "Cyanopoxy" that WILL securely fasten these =>plastics... and just about anything else. It's NOT cheap... in fact, =>rather pricey... but it will do things no other glue/adhesive/epoxy will. =>Try a Google search on "Cyanopoxy" for more info.

It's not clear whether you have an HO or N engine. Since it's an Atlas loco, any KD coupler will fit if it's HO, and any Microtrains coupler will fit if it's N (Ain't standard coupler boxes wunnerful or what?) It sounds like you need a short-shank coupler. There are couplers that will fit your new configuration. Send me your snailmail address, and I will send you photocopies of catalog pages listing all KD's or Microstrains' couplers (and also which couplers fit which locos, which may be of use when you don't hack 'em about.) However, IMO it's better to mount the couplers on the body, not on the bogies (but you didn't ask for that advice.)

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It is N guage...

You are right I need a short shank coupler. This is part of a project I have using a B-B chassis on a class 74 kit... looking good too... will post pix when done.

email:

b r i n g i t *at* l u d d i t e . m e . u k

Reply to
UncleWobbly