ROD 2-8-0-?

Did I dream I saw a post somewhere stating Hornby have been seen on the G.C.R measuring up their ROD 2-8-0?

An interesting choice if it is true and materialises. LNER, GWR, Early BR. Late BR? Any others?

What is of more interest however is that should it turn out to be true, could the chassis be used for other loco drive models?? 28xx loco drive??

Dare I hope for 72xx + 42xx ?

Any one know if the wheelbase are similar between ROD and 72xx etc?

Reply to
piemanlarger

ROD 2-8-0s ran in Australia and China, those in Australia almost un-altered from original British design, the Chinese ones were more exotic in appearance. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

J&A Brown ran a number of them on their colliery railway in the Hunter Valley of NSW, three survive in preservation.

The Kowloon-Canton Railway also had them, IIRC.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"piemanlarger" wrote

The design was by Robinson of the GCR and both the Great Central and the LNWR had some too.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"William Pearce" wrote

Wow, we could create a demand for OO (as opposed to HO) scale models all around the world. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

GCR, LNWR, LMS. The NER and GER had some on loan from the ROD shortly after WW1, but I doubt that they received local liveries. The LMS had

50, all of which were withdrawn by the early 1930s.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

John Sullivan informs me that the wheelbase is almost the same as the GWR

28xx, so maybe this will become loco drive shortly too off the same chassis? 42xx + 72xx dont look so close unfortunatley (Not that that fact wouldstop Bachmann if they were doing it!!!!!)

Still, plenty of options for Hornby to relase different liveries so the model looks a good bet?

Reply to
piemanlarger

"piemanlarger" wrote

Did Hornby not suggest some time ago that they were going to re-tool the

28xx?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I want a decent 28xx for my preserved section

Reply to
Xbase++

In message , Xbase++ writes

I want a decent 28xx.

Reply to
John Sullivan

I'd be quite happy to have one in OO purely as a display model. One of my fondest childhood memories is a ride on the footplate of a J&A Brown ROD with my engineman grandfather. They are a handome and hard-working engine, with a well deserved following.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I'd forgotten those: D L Bradley (LSWR Locomotives: The Urie Classes) says it was only Nov 1919 to mid-year 1920 - 10 delivered in Nov 1919 and 7 more in Jan 1920.

Any more?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Reply to
William Pearce

William Pearce wrote

Very mixed up, Bill! I was thinking of the Peking-Mukden, but my fingers typed something else entirely... Thanks for putting me straight.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton