Double headed track train

I have seen video footage of a heavy train of track panels, with two Stanier 8Fs on the front, mainly on the S&C in the 1960s. I was wondering if I could get away with running a train such as this when I get a decent sized oval.

Does anyone know the origin and destination of these trains, and how frequently they ran?

John

Reply to
sutartsorric

"sutartsorric" wrote

It's your trainset, you operate it as you choose.

I suspect they would be run in connection with renewal of track sections on the S&C, unless of course they were taking new track panels to other parts of the network. They would operate as and when required.

Rail was generally produced in Workington, but I'm unsure where the prefabricated panels of track would be produced, but there were sleeper works all around the network.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"It's my layout, I'll damn well run what I like" :-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Sorry, I cant do that. Dont ask me why, but operational realism is the one thing that I try to preserve as far as possible.

Reply to
sutartsorric

With an electric powered 8F running round an oval? You fell at the first hurdles, LOL!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Sorry, I cant do that. Dont ask me why, but operational realism is the one thing that I try to preserve as far as possible.

===================================== Not my choice, but nothing at all wrong with that for you :-)

However, I dont understand the question. If youve seen such a video then can be reasonably sure it happened. What information are you asking for ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I could refer you to my original post, but just for you I will copy and paste the last sentence:-

"Does anyone know the origin and destination of these trains, and how frequently they ran? "

Reply to
sutartsorric

e:

I predicted before I started my comment that someone would make a cheap shot at "humour", which is why I added "try to preserve as far as possible".

I thought that I might be asking a sensible question, but the answers so far have shown this group's mentality. Never mind, I will try elsewhere.

Reply to
sutartsorric

If it helps its very likely it was going in the direction of Carlisle.

Reply to
simon

Such trains run from the nearest relevant workshop to wherever track is being laid or relaid. The workshop(s) like to remain busy so such trains departing would be regular. Any given piece of track will only be laid or relayed the one time per the life of the trackwork. Therefore, the closer to the works you model and the amount of network beyond on your specific line will determine how often such trains will pass. Such trains will be timetabled so as not to interfere with normal income generating trains. There are many non-revenue trains, signals (refilling and maintainance) Weights/weighbridge, etc. There were probably more in the steam era than modern era. You could suppose a track assembly works just off layout, or locate the nearest prototype one to the location of your empire and calculte how often a train would pass. (length of network beyond/track lifespan/365/panel length will give you the approximate volume of traffic ;-)

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.Procter

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Which was answered in the very first reply, with no hint of thanks or acknowledgement from yourself. What do you expect?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq