Ebay Ouch

I've been on the lookout for a model 81/2/3/4/5 for a while, but I don't want one that much!

I know they are quite rare - especially in good condition, but....and the reserve isn't met yet!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote:-

Hornby do a 86 in retro-blue colour scheme which is good enough for many purposes.

I believe #3002 is incredibly rare and don't expect it ot go for less than £500?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Adrian" wrote

I'd expect this to make at least £400 - they are indeed uncommon.

I sold the Tri-ang version of this model through demod only a couple of weeks ago for £45 from memory, so bargains are to be had.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Like the red buffers :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

Some had red plastic buffers (which I believe were taken from the Dublo starter set locos) and I think some had metal buffers. It look pretty genuine to me.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John,

Sorry, I wasn't questioning whether the lodel was genuine, just associating your word 'uncommon' with bright red buffers :-)

JIm.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Adrian wrote:-

We may be talking at cross purposes? I was referring to the "Alstom Heritage" locomotive (R2414) which is disguised to look like like a Class 81-85 of the

1960's period.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Perhaps we are talking at crossed-purposes. Just to clarify...

"Alstom Heritage" is a model of one of the prototype locos which received a "heritage" repaint recently. This is the "Electric blue" which was worn by all the pilot AC locos (81-85). According to the AC Locomotive Group's website, the first few 86s are "believed to have been" delivered in that livery, so presumably the repaint is meant to mirror that rather than trying to mimic another class.

All this is fairly academic since I would be painting it in Rail Blue to match my 1980 time period. An 86 painted in rail blue will never look like an 81 - 85!

In case anyone is in any doubt, classes 81 to 85 were very similir, being of the same basic shape although the differing intenal equipment resulted in different arrangements of bodyside grilles and windows. The 86 was (is) quite different, most obviously lacking the familiar rake of the 81-5 cabs.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

John Turner wrote:-

£602.79

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

I said at least £400 - £600 doesn't surprise me and just convinces me that eBay is a place for people with more money than sense.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Adrian wrote:-

I'm aware of the differences between the 86 and 81-85. My point was that for anyone seeking a loco for the earlier period, the heritage 86 is good deal more convincing than the triang or hornby-dublo model and probably runs a lot better too. I was told by someone else in this group that even with a repaint you are likely to be very disappointed with the earlier model.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I assumed that you would and specifically said "In case anyone is in any doubt" so as not to insult your intelegence / knowledge...

You may well be right. I haven't seen one of the Triang models in the flesh. I was really looking for a starting point for some surgery rather than something I could just re-spray. The alternative is to attempt to convert an

86 or an 87, but that is likely to be more dificult..

DC Kits have been promising a kit, but it keeps being put back and now isn't even mentioned for 2005.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

A resin body Class 81 is available but I forget from whom? Of more importance to you it is a late version 81 with single pantograph and air bottles at the No2 end. You have to supply your own pantograph and mechanical parts. A recent Hornby is suggested as the donor model.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Googling my own 2003 post on the subject, the resin body is made by L&J Models and was reviewed in RM in Nov 1999. The price was £39.50 inc. postage and a Hornby Class 90 is suggested as the donor model.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

ICBW but all 86s were delivered in 'electric blue'. However, Hornby's model of 'Alstom Heritage' is inaccurate as it attempts to model a current 86, which is quite different from the original build in terms of multiple working cables (printed detail on the Hornby model anyway), bogies and pantograph.

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

Thanks for that. I'll follow that up.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian