Guage

:-)

I'm only wrong when I disagree with my Wife. Perhaps she know about apostrophes.

Reply to
Adrian

Yup. I realise. I got an O level too. I just hadn't considered that "loco's" could be an abbreviated form of "locomotives" rather than the (probably intended) plural of "loco".

Reply to
Adrian

No, it was definitely yesterday! =8^)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Paul Boyd wrote: [...]

I see:

STORES for supply to members only

IMO that "members only" policy for supplies is shooting yourself in the foot bigtime. If I wanted to try out P4, I wouldn't want to have to pay a membership first. Just flog the stuff to anyone that wants it. I suspect they are underpricing the supplies, ie, not making enough profit to be able to commission further development of parts. If that's the case, they need a rethink of their aims and objectives IMO. The good modelling they do will attract attention and admiration, but it isn't enough to bring in new members. You have to make it easy to try out P4.

Contrast this with Proto:87, which is a proposed NMRA standard:

and available commercially:
HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.

It's one thing to run a club shop and possibly earn a few bob for the clubs coffers, running a business is a whole different kettle of fish. "Members only" won't attract the attentions of the Inland Revenue for a start, and doesn't require paid staff.

Life's too short to short anyway.......

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

That was Proto four

Reply to
Trev

It's been too many years. What was the argument about? And why were they so petty?

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

John,

Over the past twenty or so years layouts from Les Bevis-Smith (Thame), Trevor Nunn (Wicken and East Lynn), Jas Millham (Yaxbury) and Barry Norman (Lydham Heath) have been regular exhibits on the exhibition circuit. I think Trevor Nunn has been exhibiting East Lynn at least six times per year in recent times since he retired. I don't think you would class any of these layouts as shunting planks with scenery.

I've just checked the latest edition of the S Scale Gazette and Trevor Nunn is down to show 'East Lynn' at Newbury (Feb), Tonbridge (Feb), Abingdon (Mar), Macclesfield (Mar), Leytonstone (May) so far this year. Two newer layouts on the circuit are 'Grove Ferry Junction' by Robin Fielding showing - just - at St. Albans, Brighton (Feb) and York (Mar), and 'Aberlady' by Bill Blackwood at Glasgow (Feb). So there are a fair few opportunities at the start of this year and spread fairly well around the country.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Christopher,

Trevor Nunn.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Paul,

Chriss Challis has run several RailWells with S scale as the featured scale. The last one was a couple of years ago and I think I remember about eight S scale layouts appearing.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

That's him. I remember being impressed, especially as I think everything was scratch built, this being the early days or even before the S-Scale society.

Thanks...Chris

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Proto four was rather comercial and did not like those brackaways. So thought it would punish them by not taking there money unless they pretended to by N gauge Builders want 18 .82 ? axels

Reply to
Trev

Chris,

I don't think Trevor is that old :-) The S Scale MRS has been on the go since 1947.

And just about everything for S has to be scratchbuilt in the UK, hence the reason that there are not hundreds of layouts floating around. I saw Trevor recently and he is now upgrading all his locos with inside working valve gear :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 03:56:09 +0000, Mike wrote

...as in 'an hotel' of course

Reply to
Stimpy

It's a pushbike ! 'Pushbike' who uses that term these days ?

i wood advise im to wear un elmet nex time e rides is chucker :-)

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Are there any English words in which an initial "h" is not followed by a vowel (including "y")? Would you say "an hymn", or "an happy New Year"?

"Hôtel" being a French word, in which language the "H" is silent...

There are English words with a silent "h", such as an hour. Americans believe herb has a silent "h".

Reply to
MartinS

Dont think you can do that. Would have thought loco's implies a missing 'e' from the latin ending of 'es' meaning belonging to the loco.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

... or 'an Hornby'

(kim)

Reply to
kim

As I understand the word 'herb', it is french for 'grass'. It got taken into old English language as the grasses that the upper class (French of course) insisted their English cooks included in their food, hence _h_erb in common English. Yanks know better and being a French word they insist on the silent 'h' as being more sophisticated.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That's the _other_ use of the apostrophe.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter