Guage

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:00:35 +0000, Jim Guthrie wrote:

That's him. I remember being impressed, especially as I think everything was scratch built, this being the early days or even before the S-Scale society.
Thanks...Chris

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:25:12 -0500, Christopher A.Lee
Chris,

I don't think Trevor is that old :-) The S Scale MRS has been on the go since 1947.
And just about everything for S has to be scratchbuilt in the UK, hence the reason that there are not hundreds of layouts floating around. I saw Trevor recently and he is now upgrading all his locos with inside working valve gear :-)
Jim.
John Turner said the following on 18/01/2008 13:36:

I have seen one or two fairly recently - Barry Norman's "Lydham Heath" at RailWells a year or so ago is one that comes to mind - so they are about. Just not very many.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Chriss Challis has run several RailWells with S scale as the featured scale. The last one was a couple of years ago and I think I remember about eight S scale layouts appearing.
Jim.
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:36:40 -0000, "John Turner"
John,

Over the past twenty or so years layouts from Les Bevis-Smith (Thame), Trevor Nunn (Wicken and East Lynn), Jas Millham (Yaxbury) and Barry Norman (Lydham Heath) have been regular exhibits on the exhibition circuit. I think Trevor Nunn has been exhibiting East Lynn at least six times per year in recent times since he retired. I don't think you would class any of these layouts as shunting planks with scenery.
I've just checked the latest edition of the S Scale Gazette and Trevor Nunn is down to show 'East Lynn' at Newbury (Feb), Tonbridge (Feb), Abingdon (Mar), Macclesfield (Mar), Leytonstone (May) so far this year. Two newer layouts on the circuit are 'Grove Ferry Junction' by Robin Fielding showing - just - at St. Albans, Brighton (Feb) and York (Mar), and 'Aberlady' by Bill Blackwood at Glasgow (Feb). So there are a fair few opportunities at the start of this year and spread fairly well around the country.
Jim.
Paul Boyd wrote:

No, it was definitely yesterday! =8^)
Greg.P.

I thought Scalefour was a society, and that the gauge/scale was P4.
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden
Jane Sullivan said the following on 17/01/2008 22:06:

The Scalefour Society is a society (!) that works to P4 standards. The history is complicated, but the gist is that the Scalefour and Protofour Societies were at war, then they merged, and kept the Scalefour name whilst working to Protofour standards. Something like that, anyway!
It's not actually about a specific gauge though - it's to promote scale modelling at 4mm:ft. The Finescale Narrow Gauge Study Group is an Area Group within the Scalefour Society, and there are also people within the Society modelling broad gauge of both GW and Irish varieties, and I'm sure a whole host of other gauges, but all 4mm:ft.
More info at http://www.scalefour.org/ - look at the About" page and ignore the bit where it mentions a specific gauge :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

That was pathetic. You went to shows and saw stands selling wheels and other bits, with a sign saying that the goods would be sold to the general public but not members of the other society.
Christopher A.Lee said the following on 18/01/2008 11:40:

That certainly hasn't been the case since I've been a member - I assume you're talking about the time of the Scalefour/Protofour argy-bargy, which does sound pathetic in hindsight. I was too young to have even heard of them at the time :-)
I'd have thought it would be a bit difficult to prove that a buyer wasn't a member of another society though!!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
Christopher A.Lee wrote:

That was Proto four
--
Trev
You can always tell a Yorkshire man,
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:08:47 -0000, "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:>Christopher A.Lee wrote:

It's been too many years. What was the argument about? And why were they so petty?
Christopher A.Lee wrote:

Proto four was rather comercial and did not like those brackaways. So thought it would punish them by not taking there money unless they pretended to by N gauge Builders want 18 .82 ? axels
--
Trev
You can always tell a Yorkshire man,
Paul Boyd wrote: [...]

I see:
STORES for supply to members only
IMO that "members only" policy for supplies is shooting yourself in the foot bigtime. If I wanted to try out P4, I wouldn't want to have to pay a membership first. Just flog the stuff to anyone that wants it. I suspect they are underpricing the supplies, ie, not making enough profit to be able to commission further development of parts. If that's the case, they need a rethink of their aims and objectives IMO. The good modelling they do will attract attention and admiration, but it isn't enough to bring in new members. You have to make it easy to try out P4.
Contrast this with Proto:87, which is a proposed NMRA standard: http://www.nmra.org/standards/pdf/S-1_1.pdf
and available commercially: http://www.proto87.com /
HTH

It's one thing to run a club shop and possibly earn a few bob for the clubs coffers, running a business is a whole different kettle of fish. "Members only" won't attract the attentions of the Inland Revenue for a start, and doesn't require paid staff.
Life's too short to short anyway.......
Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb
Wolf K. said the following on 18/01/2008 16:43:

You don't have to pay membership first. The Society puts on public shows around the country each year, and has a stand selling Society products to anyone who wants to buy them. You also don't necessarily need to buy P4 stuff from the Society either - Ultrascale, Exactoscale and C&L both sell all you need to get you going and you can buy P4 wheels easily enough. Really, the Stores is offering readily available stuff at discounted prices for members - it doesn't need to make a living from selling stuff. There is some stuff only available through the Society, but AFAIR nothing essential. Don't forget also that the EM Gauge Society also supports P4 if you happen already to be a member.
Also, this policy is common to every society I'm a member of, so it certainly isn't unique to the Scalefour Society.

This is a bit of a sensitive area - just mention "CRS" and watch some Society members flinch :-)

This is a genuine question - why do you think it isn't easy to try out P4? Of course it should be easy, so it would be interesting to hear a non-member's opinion of why it isn't. Attracting a continual flow of new members is essential to every society, so if there are reasons why people are being put off they should know.

As have a few S4Soc members...
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Re-gauging Bullied pacifics without throwing away the any of the proprietary chassis stops me...
To be even more brutal, the whole P4 scene seems to revolve around two ways, either:
1. Building over several decades a stock of exquisitely accurate steam locos in no more than single digits total, and running them on layouts the size of a short plank;
or
2. Only doing diesels/electrics, which happen to be easier to convert
Neither of these appeal to me, so I stick with the inaccurate but more straightforward to get into 'Intermediate 00'. I can buy RTR to my heart's content, and know that I only have to adjust the back-to-backs occasionally to get a vehicle running well, and then I can fairly quickly enjoy the pleasure of running my stock, not just building it all the time.
I'd love for 00 to be replaced by an 'Intermediate 18.83', but I don't think it will ever happen ('Intermediate 18.83' is my term for the idea of a set of standards that aren't as anally retentive as P4, which is trying to be as accurate as it's possible to be - fine for those micro engineers who want to live to those standards, but useless for the general modeller).
All the above is, of course, all in my humble onion.
Ian J.

It's each unto their own. These days I prefer making things to running them, previously the reverse was to some extent true. Neither is right or wrong. While making something, fiddling about with it to "improve" it is no big deal, but even now I'd not be happy buying something ready-to-run and then having to fiddle with it to make it work. That somehow goes agianst the grain, even if it's not terribly logical!
Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb

And there was I thinking that "Intermediate 18.83" was alive and well, and called "EM".
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden
writes

Hmmm. I think you know I meant 'intermediate' to mean in the way the track and wheel standards are applied, not to the gauge itself...
Ian J.