Guage

I kinda remembered something about that, but as P4 and S4 are now for all intents and purposes considered to be combined, I treat them as one. P4 is still way more demanding to model to for 'general' modellers, which is where an 'intermediate 18.83' could come in - I don't see it as much different in its way than modelling in general H0 is for most of the rest of the world - there's Proto 87 (?) which is finescale H0 as far as I can tell, but it's still the same basic gauge as normal H0.

I think I'll give 'Intermediate 18.83' a name: I83 :-) and it's got to be a CAPITAL I, so it's not caught up with all the iThis and iThat nonsense from Apple... ;-)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

In message , Ian J. writes

Hmmm. I think you're right. But

- what are you going to do with 18.83 mm. track gauge and 1 mm. flangeways? - Why would you want to use 18.83 mm. instead of 18.2 if you are going to use relaxed wheel standards?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On 19/01/2008 17:24, Ian J. said,

Perhaps it's because I'm a Scalefour Society member, but I regard "P4/S4" in much the same way as I would "OO/HO". It's either one or t'other!!! Oh dear - I'm sounding like an anorak :-)

I would hazard a guess that that's because HO scale always used the correct track gauge of 16.5mm right from the start, so the gauge didn't need to change to go finescale. 16.5mm gauge is simply wrong for 4mm scale modelling, but the RTR manufacturers, even after all this time, still haven't bitten the bullet and gone for something at least approaching the right gauge. EM would be eminently suitable for RTR manufacturer, and I think that Hornby and Bachmann ought to offer OO and EM in the same way they offer some locos with or without DCC.

"i" is the new "e" :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 16/01/2008 18:33, Gooage said,

Oy - what have you started with this thread?????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Jane Sullivan writes

And one I forgot about: why not round 18.83 up to the nearest millimetre and use NMRA OO standards?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:42:10 +0000, Paul Boyd wrote

'g' (grid) is the new 'i'

Reply to
Stimpy

On 19/01/2008 17:45, Jane Sullivan said,

The actual number doesn't matter - why not use 18.83mm and use NMRA standards? TBH, I think this two decimal place thing puts people off as much as anything else, but in practise you never have to measure 18.83mm!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

[...]

NIH.

Reply to
Wolf K.

Bing and Trix were 16mm gauge. (the earliest HO gauge proprietry offerings) HO was any scale between 1:80 and 1:90.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Why bastardize a reasonably accurate scale/gauge combination?

19mm gauge isn't any easier to make/manufacture than 18.83mm, only the tolerances matter. OTOH the narrowness of the British loading gauge compared to the track gauge makes a big difference when modelling steam loco. (and probably Diseasal bogie sideframes) Every 0.10 of a millimeter makes a difference.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

And for a surprisingly long time full length coaches were modelled at

1:100 (by Liliput and Roco, for example.)
Reply to
Wolf K.

Maerklin have finally got to 1:100!

Reply to
Greg Procter

who cares?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Yes, correct, my mistake. Pls omit one of the 'r"'s.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

A quick google shows a minefield in which some people support you but no one does me. Ok, my limited year of latin was over 40 years ago.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Bring on British HO! I will convert in a flash!! :) But doesnt that then open the door to S87......?

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

Just buy a drop-in wheelset

Except its getting to be an expensive option nowadays.

£60 for a complete set on a G2 !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

garden

Some of us already model British HO. (me) S87 has been around for 25 odd years. (not me)

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Won't affect me. I'll have taken up ice skating since hell will have frozen before then!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I think it's "thorough" Yanks have most problems with? (thurrow)

Also mirror becomes "meer".

(kim)

Reply to
kim