Help with dimensions for viaduct please

I am going to buil a gently curving viaduct for my N scale layout and wondered if anyone had dimensions for Ribblehead viaduct. I want to base my model on Ribblehead although I probably won't create an exact replica.

So far much googling has produced only height (104Ft) and Length (440Yds) I would love to know the width, width and depth of the piers at the top and bottom and the rise and radius of the arches.

I have managed to find some side on photos which I can use to get rough estimates of these dimensions but as the resolution of the pictures is so low and the perspective distorion so great I am getting a difference of several feet when I try to calculate dimensions from these photos.

If anyone has dimensions or suggestions of where I could find them I would be greatful.

Regards, Ian

PS I live 4000 or so miles from Ribblehead so a site visit may not be practical!

Reply to
Ian

"Ian" wrote

If you're not going to create a scale model then why not estimate some dimensions from photographs. You'll have a datum point if you use a shot with a train going across

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sound advice John, I have indeed tried estimating from photographs and found the estimates vary so wildly from one photo to the next that I am suspicious of the results, still I think this is the way I will go if no hard data shows up.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I built a viaduct for a layout a couple of years ago and I used the dimensions of a 2 track Station that I found online (I think at the 2mm Society website) I just added a little to the plaform height to give me the parapet height

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Try getting an aerial photo from

Mark Thornton

Mark Thornton

Reply to
David Costigan

Thanks David,

The 45', 6' and 18' foot dimensions are probably the most critical, along with other suggestions regarding parapet height I think I have enough to be going on with. Hopefully I will be making a start this weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions and Info.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Ian wrote:-

Move to Coventry. We have a similar viaduct running through the centre of town although a large section fell down in 1857 and was rebuilt as an embankment. Up until then it was the longest in europe.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Thanks Kim, but I think I'll stay here in the Sun! which does rather make up for the lack of railways.

Ian - In sunny Bermuda

Reply to
Ian

Ian wrote:-

Ooops. I misread your post as 400 miles from Ribblehead. (Bloody dyslexia).

kim

Reply to
kim