Hornby 4 wheel coaches?

Is my memory failing? Did Hornby produce a 'guards' variant of the 4 wheel coach some years ago? I vaguely remember seeing one in a catalogue. Never
seen one on EBay...
"Nick" wrote

Definitely not.
John.
: : "Nick" wrote : : > Is my memory failing? Did Hornby produce a 'guards' variant of the 4 wheel : > coach some years ago? I vaguely remember seeing one in a catalogue. Never : > seen one on EBay... : : Definitely not. :
Probably thinking of the Ratio 4 wheelers.
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...

I have made one using parts of a Ratio body on a Hornby chassis and it matches up quite well.
says... : > Is my memory failing? Did Hornby produce a 'guards' variant of the 4 wheel : > coach some years ago? I vaguely remember seeing one in a catalogue. Never : > seen one on EBay... : : I have made one using parts of a Ratio body on a Hornby chassis and it : matches up quite well.
The mind boggles! WHY do something like that, IIRC the ratio chassis on those kits worked OK (certainly for OO gauge running)?...
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...

I never managed to get my Ratio coaches to run very well. I also model a completely fictitious Island, off the coast of the UK, with it's own Government and railway system so it's nice to make unusual trains :)
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:37:45 -0000, Gerald H

You have to use decent metal wheels in bearings. AFAIR I used Romfords but that was more than 30 years ago.
But the Ratio bodies don't really match the Hornby coaches.
The former are a low roofed prototype from the late 1890s and the latter are a modern profile, shortened.
They are however a useful source of bits to slice and splice. There have been several articles in the model press.