Hornby A1X (modified) GW No5 Portishead

I could not resist buying one of these models as the prototype has a soft spot in my memory (early 1940's at Bristol SPM). At that time No 6 was also there before it went off to Taunton. I remember it being named Clevedon but no literature confirms my memory --- can anyone confirm or deny this please,

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

My first thought was that this was a model of one of the WC&PR locos, but according to the definitive book on the WC&PR, there were no Terriers named "Clevedon". The Terriers on that line were no.2 "Portishead" and No 4 (un-named).

A bit of further reading reveals that the Hornby model of WC&PR No.2 is the loco you remember, as it was transferred to Bristol SPM and renumbered to "5", but although the other Terrier (no.4) seemed to end up at SPM as GWR no.6, there is no reference to it being called "Clevedon". That doesn't mean it wasn't though!

On 16/09/2007 18:31, Sailor said,

Reply to
Paul Boyd