Hornby Black 5 R2322

I recently acquired one of these locos in a rather distressed state. One of the renewals decided upon was the pick-up and lower chassis
components. There is only one type for the 8 variations. After assembly the speed and traction was minimal. Problem = brake shoes on the rear pair of drivers were not only touching the rims but pushing the Axel up to its max compression. After rechecking I could not find an assembly problem so I cut off the shoes. Q? is this a common place problem?
"Sailor" wrote

There are two distinctly different wheelbases for Black 5s, and Hornby have modelled both. Have you got the correct one?
John.

I had noted the two different wheel sets and connecting rods (apart from the weathered versions) but there is only one common under chassis unit which as it includes the pickup bars which would have to cope with differing wheel centres! Or - is there another Service Sheet ?
Regards
Peter A