I can't help but smile ...

we played trains...I enjoy shunting so I chose to do that in the industrial area, the owner of the layout acted as the signal box operator and the 3rd chap ran passenger and mainlinegoods trains...we had a most enjoyable hour or so.

Reply to
gene

So I decides to build myself a model railway. Now half my stock is chipped (the late 1950s period) whilst the 1930s stock is analogue. Beaulieu is built to cater for either period (change stock, signals, road vehicles, some little people - the rest remained almost the same over a thirty year period).

Because of my age and build (mid 50s and portly) the wiring underneath the layout comprises a pair of busbars to which almost every wire is directly connected. No common return, there is a red side and a blue side, with each board connected by a pair of crocodile clips. The exceptions are a few strategic dead sections connected to "on - off" switches. Point motors are currently Lemaco but they are a dead loss and I shall convert to sliding switches.

So lets cut to the morals of the story, 'cos there are two.

  1. The team have adopted a dead simple numbering system. One look at the loco and you know the DCC code, and it takes a minute to explain.

  1. I use a Lenz 90 system, with a forward - off - back switch and a nice round knob. And with DCC you don't have to remember which locos are wired backwards. Other than my Drummond M7, which can suffer from pre-menstrual tension, all the locos behave themselves and plod around at a nice slow speed. I borrow a Lenz 100 controller in case anything needs to be reprogrammed, but so far touch wood. I take eight locos to a show so they can all be punched into the Lenz 80 memory at the start of proceedings and the operators can scroll through.

The first time I set up Beaulieu, I plugged in the Lenz, put my Adams O2 on the track and it worked! And I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to electricity. So DCC can be very simple and it can work. Many year's ago I received some training on packet switching, but to me DCC is a means of playing trains.

And then in a couple of years I shall be just as happy plugging in an analogue controller. I shall just need to re-acquaint myself with the dead sections.

Reply to
John Bishop

While "sound" is at present linked to DCC control, there is actually no reason why it should/can not be provided in much the same manner with analogue control systems. All that is needed is for some enterprising manufacturer to provide the sound control modules and activation systems. There is at least one US firm already doing this.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

There's no reason why an electronic module could not be made for analogue locos to set acceleration, deacceleration, starting and maximum speeds. minor reprogramming of a DCC decoder at the production phase would do the job.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That sounds something like this

I've got several of these which I'm sure I bought from Brandbright, but I can't find them on their web site any more.

Are Tortoise motors suitable for use outdoors? I didn't think they were.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Fair point, but see below !

Oh dear, The ZTC base unit (which I also have) is about the only DCC system that does have a brake handle !!!! On the majority of the others it is left to it's own devices. I guess you didn't have a good enough play !! (Although, I admit, the proportion of it is a little hit and miss - I never use it, but Dad uses it excessivly ! :-)) This I put down to the design, not a fault of DCC)

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

You are forgiven for assuming I enjoy technology for its own sake, but no. The lure of the latest gadjet went sour a while back. Cant be bothered anymore. I am fascinated by the idea of being able to connect the fridge to the washing machine, but only by what will they say. Perhaps when the washer gets into a spin the fridge will suggest it keeps cool.

Only interest in latest DCC and computers from the extra dimension they provide in operating. The idea will be to get systems to do background tasks, for example point switching or signalling. Plus as said before to control the rise and fall of the pit cage.

Yes as Greg said circuits can be made or purchased for this, however this is the route that suits me.

simon

Reply to
simon

Depends on how you look at it, turn a knob, select via computer sliding scale (get a feedback joy stick if you like). Depends on the software, but it may well require more planning via computer. Wow what a thought - voice control ! that would fox any visitor, you sit there with hidden mike apparently talking to the engines. At first they would think you barmy, but as they realise the engines respond....

Simon

Reply to
simon

It makes me smile, sometimes, to reflect on how often we proceed down the track we marked for ourselves when we first start in the hobby, and only concentrate on refining it. Two wires to the track we start with, then realise that soldering/more feeders/soldered rail joiners (or heavier wire) tight wire runs under the layout, screw connectors etc etc.

As I approach 60, and the thoughts of trying to solder upside down while hanging, bat-like, from the layout frame, I figured "There has to be a better way". Fellow modellers, may I introduce Front Wiring? This latest layout, I built front facia panels that project in front of the actual fascia, with all wiring and joins done behind this. The fascia is made of 4.8mm Masonite, each panel 900 mm by about 225 mm and screwed - yes screwed, not hinged - to the support frame. If access is needed, which is not often, a battery drill with a screwdriver bit in it is quite convenient.

When laying the track (Peco, glued to foam) I temp pinned it in the place where it would go, marked it and the rail, drilled holes in the foam and soldered (off the layout) long feeder wires to the tracks. When the track was finally placed and glued in position, the wires were fed out to the front of the layout, through holes behind the fascia. All connections either screw or solder are done here, with me standing comfortable, plenty of light, etc etc. And I do the same with my twin coil point motors and their power routing. All wires to the front. Around the layout, the bus wires for point motor power, track bus and DCC cab bus are behind this fasica. I like making things easy. :)

The DCC bit? Each to their own, but I will make one observation. I have met many, many modellers who have switched from DC to DCC. I have not yet met one who has switched from DCC to DC. I think that says a bit.

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

Wow, that is almost exactly what I have in mind. I'd use one of the positions outside of the track --- that hole they have for fitting the mechanism underneath the centreline would fill up with water which would then make its way below.

Normally no, which is why I wanted a linkage between the point and motor which allowed the motor to be protected and didn't act as a conduit for water. In any case I may well use wire in tube for manual control (nickel/silver wire in PTFE (teflon) tube).

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

I have the same inclination but having used 19mm floor panels for a base (to enable me to crawl over it when necessary) it enables me to drop point motors into holes and bring the connections to the outer legs of the supports into terminal blocks together with the track wiring. I can't be bothered to be too tidy with wiring - in any case I find it easier to faultfind that way, it does of course follow a logical colour code. The comment on not changing from DCC to dc evokes the very personal opinion that if I had spent the kind of money needed to set up DCC it would cause me to make it function to my satisfaction no matter what!!

Reply to
Peter Abraham

In article , Steve writes

Good idea Steve, but Beaulieu has to loaded into a Vauxhall (aka Opel) Vectra hatchback. The boards are 4 foot by 2 foot mated face to face with the trestles fitting into the frame. The whole shebang has to be slid over the tailgate in a slightly southerly direction until it is far enough under the tailgate, then given a jiggle into a vaguely northerly direction to ride up the back of the rear seats. Those of you with Vectras will know the rear seats don't quite fold flat. And when I fit the backscenes the boards must be mated front to back.

I can't do front wiring. But I can cramp individual boards vertically to the workmate

Reply to
John Bishop

Ah. Then the solution is obvious. You need a bigger car. May I suggest:

and an obliging Vauxhall dealer? I particularly recommend the 6 litre V8 option - expensive to run, but nobody will get to the show to set up before you. :) Or wait a little, as Vauxhall intends to apparently import the version with extra chilli:

Fair enough. Although there was an example of serendipity that presented itself after I had completed the fascia. People who, despite my remonstration, rested their elbows on the layout, now find they have a ledge, painted in hard wearing enamel, at elbow-rest height on top of the front panels, and the layout scenery is now - relatively - unmolested.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In message , Steve writes

You could dissuade people from resting their elbows on the layout by painting the bit where they rested their elbows in anti-vandal paint :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The only problem with this, John, is that if you are laying too many wires parallel in a small area, then you may, repeat may, get electrical interference between wires. I have read that this may be particularly relevent with DCC. I also understand that it may be helpful to twist pairs of wires together along their length to lessen this effect

Reply to
Keith J Patrick