Important story embargoed until Sunday

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:35:49 +0100, Jane Sullivan

Is that near Cwmbyamilord?
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

ROTFL I used to live near there - Brithdir to be exact. Try saying that to a telephone operator - they nearly sent a fire engine to Bristol when I reported a heath fire :-)))

--
Mike Hughes

It has been decreed dangerous to run model railways with unprotected rails electrified at 12000 millivolts. As from 1st April, only clockwork mechanisms will be permitted.
Bevan
Bevan Price wrote:

With all those nasty, dangerous, tightly-coiled springs? Maybe a small elastic band would be sufficiently risk-free.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Providing goggles were worn. ;-)
John.
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:03:27 +0100, Jane Sullivan

It's news about the imminent release of the Farish Class 60.
Fred X
"Fred X" wrote
It's news about the imminent release of the Farish Class 60.
Nah, that has to be a wind up ???? Hmm Clockwork N gauge ?? Lonestar was it not ?
Andy

I only hope it's better than last year...

Coincidence? I think not.
--
Martin S.

Well, gawd help the travelling public if the story isn't an April Fools gaff!
Surely MREmag could have come up with something a bit less silly and obvious, the idea that kit building would be restricted to those who have carried out a full COSSH risk assessment is plausible or that all new UK modern image models would be produced in 3.5mm scale seems truly possible by comparison (after all there is a market for EMD 66 BRE 59 or even the old EE Type1 if modelling east of the Chunnel)...
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 12:34:03 +0100, :Jerry: put finger to keyboard and typed:

Indeed. In this context, there was an interesting (and rather scary) story in The Times last week, about how new child protection legislation has caused problems for a lot of "hobby" clubs. The two specific examples given in the article were mountaineering and model aircraft clubs, the latter of which is sufficiently similar to railway modelling for comparisons to be drawn. According to the article:
The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act, which comes into force next year, requires hobby clubs to conduct Criminal Records Bureau checks on all coaches and volunteers, or face a fine of 5,000. They must also appoint a child welfare officer, who must be trained for the role. Coaches must complete forms on why they wish to work with children and provide two written references from "persons of responsibility" that must then be checked.
John Bridgett, a member of the Retford Model Flying Club in Nottinghamshire, said that almost all the under-18s had left his club. "Due to the ridiculous situation now, not only must parents remain with their children but they too must join as a member of our flying club," he said. "The net result is that junior membership has declined from fifteen down to one over a two-year period."
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/public/article1615081.ece (or http://tinyurl.com/yrf225 for those suffering from unwanted wordwrap)
Has anyone here experienced similar issues at model railway clubs? When I was a "junior member" (much longer ago than I care to admit!) of my local club, the idea that I needed any special "protection" would have seemed absurd.
Mark
--
Visit: http://www.MineOfUseless.info - everything you never needed to know!
"And when you play you feel all right"
Mark Goodge wrote:

When I were a lad I looked at a local model railway club, but under-18s (or 16s?) weren't really wanted back then so I didn't join.
There was also the local scouts I could have joined, but that had problems after Akela took too much interest in the cubs' woggles (which is presumably why the rules are wanted).
Looking from another angle, my current club has some young kids, and I do sometimes feel a little unhappy about using tools &c when kids are being allowed to run around the place by their parents. I don't really fancy soldering or sawing when kids are diving between peoples' legs, and I want to play trains, not be a zoo keeper.
--
Arthur "Herod was right" Figgis