Ivatt 2MT Haulage

The Rumituka Incline (Main route north from Wellington) was 1:15 with Fell system tank locos. Trains were split and up to 5 Fell locos inserted. The sound of 10 pairs of unsyncopated cylinders at full blast in one train at walking speed was quite impressive! After 75 years operation it was replaced by a tunnel in the late 1950s.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The Hopton Incline was pure adhesion, using among other things Austerity saddle tanks. It was the last home of the ex- North London Railway 0-6-0 tanks.

Christopher A.Lee

It really must be steep, the locos actually have proper cylinders and connecting rods! ;-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

"simon" wrote

Just replaced my Lenz Compact with a 'used' Set 01 at the princely price of GBP50.00 - and there was a spare LH90 hand throttle included which I can sell and recoup some of that cost.

I don't think a Hornby set is going to get a look in Simon - far too expensive! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That is exactly what I have tried to reproduce! The S&D, The South Hams or Bristol Midland / Horfield bank. This leaves my Bachmann locos demanding double heading ( except one or two Mainline - Backmann hybrids). The new style Hornby Castle & Counties do very well. Worst performers are the Bachmann GW Hall, Manor & 53XX all of which have received almost 120 gms of fishing shot pellets to bring their weight up into the +300 gm range. my two grads are about 1: 37 over a 3m run. The Hornby Bk5 (modern) is another lightweight. Best = B'mann Ivatt cl 2 tanks, pannier tanks and Hornby 51XX.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Having now seen the 2MT you're taking about I know know what you mean. I was more referring to the B12 model as seeming to be a bit cheap and nasty. Wasn't it supposed to be part of a cheapo Argos trainset along with those clerestory coaches that keep turning up on eBay?

Yeah, that sort of thing, thanks for the pic. The symbols I noticed on the V2 model were on the boiler above the handrail but I can't recall if they were also on the back of the tender. I'd say it's a fair bet I was looking at an 'as-preserved' model.

My near-miss with A1 'W.P. Allen' taught me to look very closely at a prospective purchase before I buy! Sad thing is, I'm sure that a modern-standard LNER V2 would look great in front of one of our big rakes of kit trucks.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell