Layout design

Firstly, many websites have been using frames since the 20th century. It's not a new phenomenon.

Secondly, it's quite possible that that's the only web browser that they have available to them. You've probably never heard of Charlotte. Last time I used it (a while ago admittedly) it was the only browser available for the system that I worked on and it had no frames support. (It had no graphics support either - text only - graphics could've been added but it would've been a lot of work. Like most "free" browsers it needed support - no sponsorship for this was forthcoming hence no development.)

Thirdly, I use one to see how the website looks for people who have to use browsers without frame support. Similarly I run the work websites through the various colour-blind translators - the results can be quite enlightening.

Quite. Some people use them for scripting purposes (like when the dumb vendor doesn't provide an API to their product and the only way you can programmatically do something is to scrape the screen (currently fighting that one at work) - presonally I hate the things and push to get APIs from people). Quite why they'd want to script a model railway website though is beyond me :-)

We've already had the discussion about braille keyboards and things methinks.

-- Rod

Reply to
Benny

On 08/11/2006 19:00, Greg Procter said,

Ah - that urban myth! Steel track and wheels in a house will not rust! As I'm writing this, I have a 6-coupled steel-tyred chassis sitting beside me (as it has been for the last few years - need to get a move on!). Just had a look at the wheels, and there is absolutely no trace of rust - not even a smidgen. The treads are bright and shiny. In my unheated spare room are the remnants of an abandoned layout - again absolutely no rust on the steel rails.

Rust really isn't a problem unless you install your layout in the bathroom or the garden :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 08/11/2006 19:48, Benny said,

I wasn't suggesting it was a new phenomenon. The point I was making was that we're in the 21st century. Frames have been around for so long that any browser that can't read them really ought to catch up.

No I haven't heard of it, but from your description it sounds utterly useless for browsing the modern internet. I won't be factoring that into my design!

I consciously decided to exclude browsers without frame support, because this is a hobby website and I have to do what I can do with the minimum of time. My previous ISP had webstats that allowed me to see which browsers people were using. Without exception, every single viewer was using a frame-compatible browser. Therefore the extra work in using a table-based website (the only other option available to me then) was simply not worth it.

You've totally lost me there. I only read the basics!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Arthur Figgis wrote in news:45522f91$0$8753$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Nahhhh ... think of tables as DC, always work, always predictable, simple to implement and understood by all. Whilst CSS can be regarded as DCC we need a little more expertise and the right kit to run it on.

Now as M$, Netscrape, Mozilla, Oprah and so forth all have slightly differing views as to how CSS should be displayed and even as different products from the same manufacturers can implement CSS in different ways doing anything other than relatively simple formating requires programming for each and every browser type used to access the site. IOW lots more work.

Simple tables for layout, with simple CSS for appearance and Bob's your uncle.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Hi, Paul

My layout's in the garden :-) And all the wheels on my locos are nickel silver (apart from the Heljan ones, which seem to be some alloy of copper).

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

We have rather high humidity levels here, plus seashore in most directions.

I have rusty steel tyres,

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

But anyone who is trying to get their site to display the same on every browser has missed the point of the web. The whole point is to get the content over to anyone and anything who wants it. If you want it to look the same, do it on paper!

I was very smug when some d3zign3r couldn't work out why one of my sites got such good search engine listings, with the content listed above the menus, and I could make changes everywhere in seconds - even though I've not been on a Frontpage course :-)

Nah. Customise a cut-n-paste CSS design from somewhere, then spend the time it leaves you with on playing with toy trains!

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Indeed, it's probably imposable to write a web page that will be identical on all screens and browsers, web 'designers' HAVE to accept that the client is in control not them, all the web designer can ever do is suggest how the content should be displayed. If web designers are trying to force their will on the client it's quite possible that their hard work will either not be displayed or displayed as garbage - even a presentation based on tables can become disjointed in some browsers.

Reply to
Jerry

Mine too. Isn't nickel silver also a copper alloy (nickel/copper). It certainly doesn't have any silver in it.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

"Mark Thornton" wrote

According to

Nickel silver is a metal alloy of copper with nickel and often but not always zinc.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 08/11/2006 22:42, Jane Sullivan said,

You're allowed to have N/S in that case :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd