LNER articulated coaches

Probably a silly question, but did LNER articulated coaches have buffers on the 'in between' coach ends, or just at the outer ends of each set? Similarly, were there couplings between cars, or was the bogie also the coupling? My main source of reference is Volume II of David Jenkinson's British Railway Carriages, but having looked, I'm still not sure of the answers.

Off on a tangent, was there ever a Volume III in the carriage series, by Jenkinson, from 1953 onwards?

Thanks!

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme said the following on 09/07/2007 08:35:

Well, now you mention it :-)

or just at the outer ends of each set?

Just the outer ends.

The two coach bodies both attached to a common bogie. I believe each body had its own pivot arrangement rather than sharing a common pivot, but I could be wrong on that.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

The Isinglass drawings show a single pivot.

Reply to
John Shelley

In message , Paul Boyd writes

It would have been too easy to look at another model, but we all know that is a potential disaster.

Excellent, thanks.

Thanks. What I meant was, was there any other connection between the two coaches, other than the bogie (ignoring brake pipes etc.). I cannot imagine any further coupling would be required, as, sharing a common bogie, the two coaches would be about as physically coupled as it was possible to be.

Reply to
Graeme

I seenm to recall hearing/seeing somewhere - but can't remember where - that David Jenkinson did intend to produce a third volume, presumably to cover (roughly) the mid 1950s to the end of the century, but it never appeared. Great pity, as just the two volumes of "Railway Carriages of the 20th Century" does leave a pretty large gap, ie the BR Standard designs, uncovered. (Although Keith Parkin's work on the Mark 1's does fill the gap very well).

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

AFAIK no other couping, apart from the pivot arrangement. That was fixed to the end of each coach, and the bogie pivoted from that.

I'm part way through building some 2mm scale Chris Higgs designed LNER artics. I don't know if Chris will be offering runs of the kits in Large Print form, he has for some of his models.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

In message , David Costigan writes

Thanks David. I keep wondering why I have never seen Vol. III, and now I know. A shame - Vols I and II are excellent books, which I enjoy whenever I have a coaching query.

Reply to
Graeme