LNER P1 2-8-2

I believe there were also operational difficulties, eg water colums in pairs spaced for two 0-6-0s. The Garratt tank fillers were a different distance apart.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

SNIP

........and a 2-10-0 WD (as well as a 2-8-0 now available from Bachmann) and a Standard Clan.

To be fair, his L&Y 0-4-0T dock shunter and J94 were better models than anything else available at the time from Hornby.

I would definitely plan on buying a LM Garrett if one ever appeared in OO, and I certainly have no room for 100 wagon trains!

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

Just in passing, I actually worked for the owners of Beyer Peacock a few years ago. The legal entity still exists, but it is now a tax-pensions investment vehicle for Arab interests. My job was dealing with some of the statutory records, but I was continually distracted by the one remaining tangible asset of the company that was located opposite my desk.

That asset was a 5" gauge model of a full Beyer Garratt. Magnificent.

But also a sad reminder of the fate that awaits all British industry.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

No, it's because they *didn't* listen to me a couple of years back, and wasted their time dabbling in Italian matters instead of getting on with a Beattie well-tank. ;-)

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

that the

1925 - 1945

does say

You would also have read about the fact that those boilers were relatively new (to them) when the loco's were withdrawn, there original boilers having been scrapped in '42, for being in the worst condition even seen for that type of boiler.

"The boilers were interchangeable with the A1 and A3 type boilers, but the P1s kept their original boilers longer than any of the A1s. This may explain the extremely bad condition of No. 2393's boiler when it was removed in 1942. The Works Manager described it as [italic] 'the worst condition of any Pacific boiler I have ever seen'.[/ intalic]> Both P2s had their original boilers replaced with A3-type boilers in 1942."

The question still stands, if the P1's were so in efficient and caused so many problems that some are claiming, why were they not scrapped in the early '30's and the parts used to build new A3 etc. - let alone a proposal for more to be built?

"The two P1 locomotives were initially put to work hauling coal between New England and Ferme Park, which was the only route which could usefully use their haulage abilities. By 1926, they were still well thought of, with the Locomotive Running Superintendents recommending the replacement of four 0-8-0s with four new P1s. However, these would never be built"

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Always popular, I am still baffled why there are no RTR outside frame GWR engines. The Dukedog always seems to come high on the wish lists, and it's not as if the GWR itself is on the margins of popular interest! I had wondered whether the ouside frames were an engineering headache, but the recent 08s from Bachmann and Hornby would suggest that's not so much of a problem. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

"Steve W" wrote

Can't argue with that! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Points out that Feltham Marshalling Yard was north of the river.

Reply to
tiM`

...and so is Cannon Street, Bank, Blackfriars, and Charing Cross....!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Oh yes indeed. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of machinery and a beautiful model. It also has a very pretty price tag attached to it - US$ 614.10. I could buy several

56 class or 59 class with that sum. Even though I've only very recently acquired an interest in railways outside North America, I have always had a fondness for Garretts. I think they are very interesting and very good-looking. The one in your link is especially so. I have been interested in Australian railways for about twelve years, but I don't want to say too much about them account this is a UK centered board, and I am trying to cultivate an interest in UK outline modeling. Thanks for the link :-)
Reply to
66class

"tiM`" wrote

And if you refer to the undernoted

is the bulk of the non-London population, which logic infers means so it the bulk of the non-metropolis railway modelling population.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Forgot about those ;o) Actually, so is Victoria. When was bank a Southern BR station? I've always thought that the Waterloo and City was part of the underground network (I expect I'm wrong though, from a historical perspective).

Reply to
tiM`

I believe it changed over at the time the railway network was privatised

- so mid 90s.

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

Wrongly listed, that honour goes to the East African Railways 59 class Garratt, one of which is preserved in working order, see

Keith

Reply to
Keith

1.4.94, according to
Apparently the line was bought by London Underground for one pound.

Before the time that it was in NSE livery, older readers will remember the stock in green, and with SR logos.

Reply to
David Biddulph

Actually, I thought they lived south of the Thames, in places like China and India! Or, do you mean the *UK* non-London population? This is an important distinction, because Hornby source their products in China, and now have an international distribution channel. There is actually more opportunity for Hornby in the burgeoning Asian consumer market....

Well, using that logic, Liverpool must be a good place to build upscale private health clubs...they've certainly got a big population, not many clubs already, and the logic is equally valid...

In any case, logic based on population numbers doesn't enter into Hornby's equations, or they would only be producing EMU's and nothing else. P1's indeed!

Cheers, Steve.

Reply to
Steve W

"Steve W" wrote

I thought this was uk.rec.models.rail - and therefore I didn't realise my comments required further qualification.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think the "uk" refers to the place of operation of the prototypes of the models, not the geographical location of modellers!

Otherwise, what are we to make of a question from a subscriber in the USA about a model made in China of a prototype built in Romania?

The class 56's operated in the UK for a while, so I'm told. I never actually saw one myself. They have the same significance to me as a P1. But I *have* seen, and travelled on, green trains at Bank station. Which had, I may add, a longer lifespan than the class 56. And were used by a somewhat larger number of people than the Blue Pullman.

So when are Hornby planning to release a model of "Drain" stock? Before the Claughton, I hope!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Isn't the East African Railways 3 ft 6 in gauge, not metre gauge?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Steve W" wrote

Neither in my lifetime I guess! ;-)