Lost diesel at Barry scrapyard

According to 'the Barry List' 4th Edition (published 1979 I think) there had been a diesel loco number D8026 broken up in 1970. It is described as a 'type 1' Bo-Bo.

Googling for this loco has proved inconclusive. The loco is not mentioned in any of the Barry Scrapyard websites that I'm aware of such as

and
.

Can anyone tell me what class of loco D8026 was?

John

Reply to
John Rampling

Modern day class 20. I didn't know Barry cut any 20s, though there were some other diesels cut there.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

I suspect it's a misprint for Class 15 D8206.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

"John Rampling" wrote

Most unlikely, as this loco was renumbered 20026 under the TOPs system and would have been unlikely to receive that number much before 1973/4. Sadly I can't quote withdrawl dates, but I did photograph it at Tinsley TMD in

1981 - see this picture.

Are you sure you've not misread the number as D8206?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The only diesels that I remember seeing there were the A1A-A1A Warships.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

I don't recall any Class 20 being broken up that early, and certainly none at Barry. If a Class 20 had suffered accidental damage, it would have been moved (if possible) to the nearest main works for component removal. This seems to have been the policy with all locomotives that remained in wide-scale use until the 1990s at least. The Class 20s at this time had become the de-facto standard Type 1 diesel, and were starting to be equipped with slow-speed controls and air-brakes to deal with merry-go-round coal traffic. As I recall, the diesels scrapped at Woodhams were two or three of the 600 series Warships and an ex-Scottish Region Class 21 or 29 diesel electric (61XX) Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Class 15 D8206 was scrapped at Woodhams in February 1970.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Must have been after my last visit there- was it one of the Class 15s that loitered around as generators for train pre-heating? There was one at Maliphant Street carriage sidings outside Swansea High Street for a while. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Looks like you're right - also it was described as 'built in 1957' which also ties up with Class 15.

Reply to
John Rampling

Thanks. Incidentally what is your source for that info?

John

Reply to
John Rampling

Looked it up on the rather brilliant End of the Line website:

:)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

More info:

The loco was sent to MC Metals of Glasgow for disposal having been withdrawn in October 1990

There's nothing listed on Yell.com for MC Metals in Glasgow, otherwise you could of phoned them to verify the fate of the loco further

Malcolm

John Rampl> According to 'the Barry List' 4th Edition (published 1979 I think) there had

Malcolm

"BH Williams"

Two of these were delivered, I believe, in August 1968.

I may have been in Barry the day they were delivered, by a Hymek, as my friend and I saw the Hymek moving light engine away from the scrap lines.

I have slides in my collection of the Hymek and both Warships. The Warships were in perfect condition, no broken glass, cabs all intact, instruments all intact, in fact, no damage to them at all. All this lead me and my friend to believe they'd just been delivered.

Again, in my slide collection, I have photos of the cab interiors taken that day.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Correction to my previous.

Checking records of wthdrawn Warships, I see my memory must be a fault. The first Warship was withdrawn in August 1968, when I was visiting the UK, so there could only have been one at Barry during my visit, not two.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

According to 'The Barry List', D601 'Ark Royal' was withdrawn in 1967. I don't know when D600 'Active' was withdrawn.

John

Reply to
John Rampling

All five D600 Warships were withdrawn in December 1967. D600 was cut up in March 1970 and D601 in June 1980, both by Woodhams at Barry.

D602 and D603 were cut up in Dec 1968 and D604 in September 1968, all at Cashmore in Newport.

The only D800 Warships cut up anywhere other than Swindon were D800 and D863, both cut at Cashmore Newport in July 1969

Source: The Western's Hydraulics, J K Lewis

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

"Tim Illingworth" <

So my original memory was correct, I did see two Warships (Apparently newly delivered, given the complete lack of vandalism) in August 1968?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Sounds like what was later called a Class 20 - they were all numbered in the D8xxx series, and were type 1 Bo-Bo's.

Reply to
John Ruddy

Then I must have just missed them arriving!

I visited Barry for the first time on Sunday August 11 1968 (memorable because BR's End of Steam special ran on that date, but I couldn't persuade my parents that we needed to visit the remote North of England to see it ).

There were no diesels there then. It must have been 1970 before I visited again because by then there was one D6XX and one D61XX.

Andy Kirkham

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

They must have been in the yard on the date you visited. Sadly, I was airborne on the way back to Canada on August 11th and also missed the 15 guinea special. I went to Barry sometime in the in last few days of July or first days of August and that's when they were there. They were not near the steam. If memory serves, they were near some bridge or overhead structure(s).

As they were completely un-vandalised, all glass, gauges etc. intact, and there was a Hymek leaving the yard, my friend and I assumed they'd just been delivered. The Hymek was moving slowly away from this area. It was running on a line that was a few feet above the road, also passing under some overhead structure(s) (Bridges?) on track with a low concrete retaining wall and steel pipe handrails.