Lost diesel at Barry scrapyard

I must have missed them then.

One of the extraordinary things about Barry from today's safety-obsessed point-of-view was the completely open access. No perimeter fencing of any kind and anybody could just wander in. I think I only ever visited on Sundays when no employees would have been about. Was it just as free-and-easy on working days?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

Not to mention the asbestos. Example

I have seen it stated that the asbestos boiler lagging was removed during the 1970s 'as a safety precaution' but I don't believe this was done to today's rigorous standards and I am sure many preservation enthusiasts have been exposed to very high levels of risk..

John

Reply to
John Rampling

"Andy Kirkham"

Was for me. I have photos of the men cutting a loco with torches. :-(

We just stood there, in the wreckage and asbestos lagging, taking photos.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.