Methfix transfers

Have just bought some Methfix transfers, but have no idea how to use them :-(

They are described as varnish or Methfix, whichever you prefer. Well, I prefer waterslide, which is all I have ever used, as supplied with Airfix kits, years ago.

I know that Methfix are able to be floated into place (apparently), but more than that, I don't know. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

On 10/10/2005 17:41, Graeme Eldred wrote,

I guess they didn't come with instructions then! Are these the HMRS transfers? If so, I've just OCR'd the instructions for you:

HMRS Transfers 'METHFIX'® Cut round the required design with a sharp knife, lift the tissue with the knife point and peel from the backing paper. Lay face down where required and wet well with a mixture of 3 parts methylated spirit (denatured ethyl alcohol) and one part water. With large transfers it is best to wet the model with the mixture fast. Carefully adjust the position if necessary then press down firmly with the fingers - do not use a cloth or blotter. If there is any tendency for the transfer to peel away from the surface as it dries this can often be overcome by damping with the spirit mixture and pressing down once again. After at least 10 minutes, soak the tissue with water and peel off when it has released. Leave several hours to harden, then wash off surplus gum. A protective varnish may be applied if desired. Some paints, especially matt finishes, contain silicone additives which are water-repellent and may cause adhesion problems. To avoid this, you can matt your own paints by adding a small quantity of magnesium carbonate (from any chemist) and stirring well.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Graeme Eldred" wrote

These are much superior to waterslide transfers as they do not rely upon a carrier film, and consequently you do not have to hide it after application.

They come in two versions: Methfix and Pressfix, and I personally prefer the latter, but only because you do not need to rely on Meths to apply them.

Paul has explained how to use them, so give them a go and forget waterslide transfers forever (unless you model USA outline, then you're stuck with the latter).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Indeed not :-(

No - I've no idea who actually made them, but thanks for the instructions, which look perfect.

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

In message , John Turner writes

Thanks John. I will have a go, and see how I get on with them. The transfers are actually repros for Hornby O gauge tank wagons :-)

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

the advantage being you can actually drink the methfix solution afterwards! :o)

[actually, no don't... it was a joke]
Reply to
unclewobbly

On 10/10/2005 22:11, snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote,

You mean you're not supposed to??? :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I seem to remember that a small glass of whisky, with a drop of water in it does the same job as the recommended liquid - and you can drink the whisky later!!

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

I seem to remember that a small glass of whisky, with a drop of water in it does the same job as the recommended liquid - and you can drink the whisky later!!

Reminds me of the old joke about the Australian Wino who goes into a chemist to buy a bottle of meths. When the assistant hands him the bottle the wino looks at him and say "Fair go mate! Ain't you got a cold one?"

Reply to
Les Pickstock

In message , snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com writes

OK :-) Actually, the heartbreaking aspect of this whole business is the diluting of the meths with water. Presumably, after that, it will no longer be suitable for the One True Purpose - firing small steam engines :-)

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

while on the subject of transfers, why don't fox have piccies to give you a clue about the sheet?

Reply to
unclewobbly

snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com said the following on 11/10/2005 21:39:

They do in their catalogues, but it get's very confusing knowing which versions of which catalogue you need to buy!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

*hic* oops!
Reply to