Off topic printer

Sorry about this off topic, but we have a Xerox Tektronix 850 printer that needs mending. Anyone know of a good cheap engineer in the Nottingham area? We are struggling to find someone.

Thank you in advance

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

It would probably be more expensive to get it fixed than to buy another printer. You can get printers for about £30+ these days, depending on what you want to do with it. For photos the £99 Epson r300 is superb.

Reply to
Piemanlager

...and replacement cartridges for £70 :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Just throw away the printer and buy another one. ;-)

My wife bought a digital clock/thermometer/hygrometer from Radio Shack, on sale for about 3 quid. They tried to sell her an extended warranty!

Reply to
MartinS

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

I know. My local print shop only ever leased equipment like that and when it went wrong (which was often) a man from Xerox had to come round and fix it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

What do you use it for? Professional use?

Reply to
Piemanlager

Sorry I can't answer your specific question, but IMO you should buy a service contract at the earliest opportunity -- if they will sell one after initial purchase. Good luck!

(For those who advised junking and buying a new one, Bob's machine is a colour laser.)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

Under UK law they can cancel the contract at any time and refund the premium if the machine develops a fault which they consider is too expensive for them to fix. In other words a service contract is not worth the paper it's written on.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Good grief! What kind of posterior orifices passed that law????

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

As far as I can tell there are no UK laws dealing specifically with what an insurance policy is and what it covers only that in that in certain cases you must have it. The home appliance insurance racket is one of the best known scams in the country. Taking out legal insurance doesn't help either as I discovered last year. Essentially, whatever you claim for is the one thing not covered by the policy.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

A friend who works for one of the large electrical retailers tells me his employer earns far more money by selling extended warranties than they do from selling the electrical goods. Commission paid by the insurers to the stores can be as high as 80%.

Now that doesn't suggest good value for money to me.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I never buy extended warranties, no matter how hard the salesman tries to persuade me. I have in the past, but never collected on one. I bought one for a new car, with an offer from the dealer to refund my money if I didn't claim on it. Six years later I got my money back! Even a factory warranty can be worthless, if it costs you more to send a product for repair than to buy a new one!

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Me neither, I always tell them I'll buy another if it fails outside a reasonable period, otherwise I expect them to mend up free of charge anyway.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

I tell them that they shouldn't be selling faulty goods. If they are not faulty you don't need the extended warranty, and if they break within a reasonable period of purchase I expect them to fix it under the terms of current legislation, or under the manufacturer's guarantee. If the thing goes wrong after three years you might as well buy a new one because what with technology moving on at the speed it does today anything you buy in three or more years' time is bound to be better than the load of junk you are buying today. That usually shuts them up. If they don't shut up I walk out and they lose the sale.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Bob, Try Tri-com at Hucknall.. 0115 9565953. Ask for Gail or Andy.

Located at side of Ambulance station on North side of the Hucknall By-pass (Best thing about the place!)

No connection, other than (Very) satisfied customer

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Our local Jessops is using one in the shop to demonstrate digital cameras.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Especially when the shop assistant (Comet in this case) lies about what is/isn't covered. I turned down an extended warranty for an expensive large screen LCD TV. The assistant was adamant that Comet's warranty would cover me for failure of a single pixel where the manufacturer will only replace the display if a cluster of pixels fail causing a noticeable error in the picture. A month later I received a letter offering me a second chance to buy a warranty. This time it came with written terms and conditions which expressly stated that pixel failures not covered by the manufacturer's warranty were *not* covered.

Caveat Emptor.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq