OO tender engine advice needed

Hello there

I'm after a bit of advice or recommendations for a new OO gauge tender engine that is suitable for a 7 year old.

My old Hornby/Triang stuff gets junior frustrated a bit due to uneven running, stalling on points, no pulling power etc. (IVATT 2MT excepted!) He got a Bachmann Class 25 last year which is just a fantastic runner, absolutely brilliant - never stalls, it crawls, pulls virtually anything up steep inclines.

The Ivatt is robust and like Arnie's Terminator it keeps going, even when derailed, determined to drag it's load with it.

What would be a good new tender engine for him that matches the Class 25 performance and Ivatt robustness?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Livingstone

"Martin Livingstone" wrote

The Hornby 8F is superb and would be my first choice recommendation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Got to agree, this is one of my favourite models, now its weathered and super detailed (by me!) The performance is superb from slow crawel to realistic speeds. Haulage seems very good, I had a pair of them double heading 90x 14 ton tanks on our club layout. No slipping from standing start to a reasonable speed. Best of all they take no 99 smoke units!

Reply to
piemanlarger

Thanks for that - what about the valve gear/handrails/etc. - is that likely to get damaged if the loco is picked up incorrectly? Also if the 8F is suitable for a 7 year old's handling, would a Black 5 do then?

Thanks again - Martin

Reply to
Martin Livingstone

"Martin Livingstone" wrote

Only you know your 7 year-old and whether he can cope. I prefer the 8F to the Black 5 - it doesn't have the silly sprung axle and certainly runs well.

There are loads of other options. The Bachmann Collett 0-6-0 & tender might be more suitable if you're worried about the valve gear on the 8F / Black 5.

John.

Reply to
John Turner