MTH engine/tender question

Hi, can someone help me with a small problem, an MTH engine/tender model 5400 is being powered by a z1000 transformer but refuses to move. I understand the manual is a little complicated. If anyone has this kind of engine please tell me what transformer are you using. Thanks!

Reply to
BigLiger

No info on MTH 5400 on their website. Are you sure it's

a) an MTH product; b) powered by alternating current?

AFAIK, MTH engines run on direct current. So you would need a power pack (a transformer and rectifier in one package), not a transformer.

Reply to
Wolf

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

It is the 3 rail, model #MT3018LP

Reply to
BigLiger

The Z1000 should work for that one. If the battery is dead the loco won't go. Try setting it on the track ar 2/3 power over night. If the battery is dead that should charge it.

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Great, I will try that. Thanks!

Reply to
chuckie

Is the loco equipped with Proto-Sound? You should get two "clanks" when you power it up if it is. If so, there is a bug in the original Proto-Sound electronics that can cause the chip to become scrambled if you try to operate the train with a dead battery. You may get three "clanks" when you power up the train in this case. If that is the case, the train won't work again until the chip is reprogrammed, either at an MTH service center or with the reprogramming kit #50-1023 (the reprogramming chip in the kit is reusable.)

Actually there are two problems. 95-96 models had a software bug in the chip. It causes the same problems, the train appears to be stuck in neutral, but has actually been deselected by the electronics and will not respond to throttle operations. In that case, the chip needs to be replaced (MTH is supposed to offer it free) and then it needs to be reprogrammed. And of course the battery needs to be replaced in both cases.

I just had this happen with a 20-2125LP C&O AA set. The upside is that I have an MTH service center within 10 miles that I never knew was there (it's my first MTH train). A whole new train shop to browse, and it's the best one I've seen in my area. The place right down the road from me is like a bad rummage sale. This new place is quite tidy and professional.

Reply to
Spender