OT a bit:Old Locos

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

I'm surprised there's that much! Wonder what the *other* component is alleged to be?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Taliesin. The works plate says "Rebuilt Boston Lodge", the component carried over is the reversing lever :)

Mind you, that's probably more that's original than there is in Aerolite in the York Museum..

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Perhaps the NMRA or someone could come up with a set of common standards for every part of a model locomotive? That way we could choose the chassis from one brand, the body from another, the drive components from a third, etc (much the way Nigel Burkin does now).

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Perhaps you are thinking of David Lloyd George or the second Earl of Merioneth [1], both of which were indeed new builds. But I think Merddin is still officially regarded as having been built in 1879, despite having suffered a hideously disfiguring rebuild in about 1970, followed by a restoration to an approximation of its original look in the more heritage-oriented 80's (with plastic rivet-heads applied to its welded tanks!).

[1] The first Earl of Merioneth was built in 1885 and originally named Livingston Thompson; it received the name Taliesin when the single Fairlie of that name was wiithdrawn between the wars. It continued as Taliesin for a short while in preservation but was further renamed as Earl of Merioneth (one of the Duke of Edinburgh's titles). By about 1970 it was considered worn-out and was withdrawn, being replaced by a new build bearing the same name but having a rather challengingly untraditional appearance. Horrifyingly, the FR seems to have been quite prepared to destroy the original and it took special efforts by the heritage-minded wing of the railway to have it cosmetically restored with its original name and displayed at York where it now resides.

I believe there is now a plan to rebuild the second Earl with a Victorian outline and apply the name James Spooner which had previously been borne by an earlier double Fairlie that was scrapped in the 1930's.

There is much on the Ffestiniog that is not what it seems to be, although the overall impression is splendid!

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

They have, it's called scale modelling....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

Yes indeed I was. If anyone's interested there are some pictures of the double Fairlies on the 'Narrow Gauge railways' page of my

website.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The state funeral train mentioned by Jerry was that of King George VI from Paddington to Windsor on 18 February 1952. The locomotive in question was

Reply to
David Costigan

Here in NZ Landrovers commonly get fitted with Holden or Toyota motors because they are easier to obtain, parts are cheaper and they are more powerful.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I imagine it's the same situation, to varying degrees, with many restored locos and other heritage equipment operating today, especially items dating from the late 19th/early 20th Century which underwent many modifications during a long working life, as well as in preservation to keep them operating, e.g. wholesale replacement of boilers, fireboxes, tenders etc. The Isle of Man steam and electric railways spring to mind.

Reply to
MartinS

It did say in the magazine; It's just that I can't remember what it was. It might have been a slidebar.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham