OT - Diwana invite

My favorite was a take away in the Mile End Road back in the 1970s - Foo Kin Chinese Restaurant.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

When I lived in Manchester 20 years ago there were a couple of good Halal restaurants in the garment sweatshop area behind the Arndale Centre.

Not really restaurants but you kow what I mean.

The better one was called "This and That". It was down a grotty alley and you had to know it to find it. Only a small menu but the food was superb.

The other one was called "Cafe Lahore".

Known by the lunch bunch as "The Other" for obvious reasons.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Mine was (and is) in the West Midlands.

It is called The Shirley Temple.

Reply to
Brian Watson

I think there's one in Southampton as well.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

Going off the track a bit, many moons ago I was driving through Ware in Herts and saw a van with "Bogitt & Runn Plumbers" - a classic.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In Porthsmouth there a was a "posh" curry house (sitar music, posey knapkins etc) we used now and again. One night we turned up about 1.00am and it was closing. "Try next door" said the waiter (we knew him a bit), so we entered through a plain wooden door into a bare room with cafe tables and chairs. It was the local (unadvertised) cafe for the Indians. It was far and away the best Jalfrezi I've ever had. Sadly, though we got served as the we'd been sent there, it was made clear that us being there didn't sit too well with the other customers. Dammed shame.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"beamendsltd" wrote

Weren't there estate agents in Kidderminster named Doolittle & Dally?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Masson

The message from "Peter Masson" contains these words:

They also had a branch in Bridgnorth (IIRC)

Reply to
David Jackson

But the one I mentioned IS in Shirley.

Reply to
Brian Watson

The point is that there is also an area called Shirley in Southampton.

Peter Beale

Reply to
Peter Beale

A double pun! Pratchet would be proud..... ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

SO Sad, I agree.

Reply to
adrian_auerhudson

So's the one in Southampton.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

Ah dear - some old names ... bring back memories

Others were Messigooey Chermicals. Itzawl Mine, Walter Wall (Carpet Layers) and one I remember from an obvious Trekkie, Lou Tennants Wharf. I had one on my layout, a friend of mine being a General Practicioner I (sorta) named a Dock area after him. This being a family newsgroup, I shall go no further. :)

And if it (the original post) is about an Aussie Soap, I cringe in shame and embarrasment about the programs that UK viewers seem to want to watch - there are better ones, honestly. Though off hand, not being a TV watcher, I can't name one :( Then again we do have to tolerate Robin Hood ...

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

Shortland Street? :-)

(For those that don't know, that's a NZ soap)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan
[snip]

I had a great uncle Walter. Mind you back then it didn't have the same connotations.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

Hey, no need to turn nasty on us Kiwis!

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ah dear - some old names ... bring back memories

Others were Messigooey Chermicals. Itzawl Mine, Walter Wall (Carpet Layers) and one I remember from an obvious Trekkie, Lou Tennants Wharf. I had one on my layout, a friend of mine being a General Practicioner I (sorta) named a Dock area after him. This being a family newsgroup, I shall go no further. :)

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

My favourite is still the Fawcett Inn on the Fawcett Road in Southsea - it is still there ?.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

[...]

Sorry, Greg. It's just that an Aussie suggested that there might be a soap somewhere that was better then Neighbours, so I naturally had to suggest something from NZ.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

My daughter watches both "neighbours" and "Shortland Street" - thankfully she left home a decade ago. My great-grandfather in retirement had his townhouse in the real Shortland Street in Auckland, and loaned it to the US Army during WWII for their NZ headquarters - a double blow to me as an anti-soaps, anti-US warmongering greenie!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter