Outdoor 00 trackwork

I'm now at the tracklaying stage on my outdoor 00 model railway and am pretty much settled on Peco nickel-silver flexitrack for the longer, straightish, sections and Peco n/s setrack (using the larger radii) for the curves at each end of the dumbbell.

Before I go out and make a very large dent in my credit card account, does anyone feel I'm doing a bad thing in my choices?

-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

Reply to
Brian Watson

In message , Brian Watson writes

Yes. Why do you need such tight-radius curves at the ends of the layout. You'd be much better off with 3-foot radius curves.

Reply to
John Sullivan

OK, was going to use "wood" type anyway but it's good to hear it confirmed.

Thanks.

Following the previous response I'm planning to use flexitrack all round and thereby ease curves wherever I can.

Now all I need to find out is who does really large track gauges.

:-)

-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

Reply to
Brian Watson

Question for John really - how do you clean your track to remove the tarnish that builds up? Chemical cleaning or abrasive?

Ta Martin

Reply to
Martin Livingstone

In message , Martin Livingstone writes

Yes.

After brushing off the windfalls with a dustpan brush, and the bird droppings with a stiff washing-up brush, I use a track rubber to remove the tarnish. This is the one marketed by the OO gauge association, which is much bigger than the one marketed by Peco.

However, if I am running within a couple of weeks of the previous track rubber operation, I just run the Centerline track cleaning car around a few times, with the material soaked in that "Goo-gone" liquid that comes with the track cleaning car. However, I always use the track rubber to polish the track where bird droppings have been removed.

I haven't tried Rail-Zip yet, by the way.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Rail-Zip works well (if you can find it), but you need to remove any residue (with a damp cloth) before running locos with traction tyres.

The Peco rubber, I find, leaves fine black particles, which are not good for an indoor layout, especially with ballast, etc. I don't know about other types.

Reply to
MartinS

[snip]

I don't run locos with traction tyres.

Outdoors, the wind will blow these away in good time.

Reply to
John Sullivan