Parkside NE 20T hopper

I seem to recall reading an account of building this kit somewhere. I've built some basic Parkside kits and large numbers of immensely complex military models over the years, I want to settle on a pattern for a decently long mineral train and I am thinking this might be the thing.

I'm planning on building about 50 of them, probably in batches of about 10.

Has anyone built this kit and are there any particular pitfalls? I like the Parkside kits because they come complete with wheels and the like, though no couplings. I was wondering whether to go with Kadee or chains. I suspect chains would be somewhat tiresome in this kind of number and may not be strong enough. It definitely needs something with a straight pull, not tension locks, as the offset causes problems over points with very long trains; the trucks tend to crab.

Also: when building kits although I prefer to paint before assembly I find that assembling first gives a stronger model because you never quite get all the paint off, and in any case you want to airbrush weathering and so on after assembly. It looks from previous models as if you can safely spring the axles out once the glue is cured, what's good for protecting the bearings from overspray? Wax, maybe? Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?