People for a DMU

I have just purchased the new 108 in Blue/grey and it looks a little sparse without any persons inside....

Any suggestions anyone to populate it, driver, guard ??

Andy

P.S. Dave, yes it will have a Knotty rambler headboard for a visit to Oakamoor !!!

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Is it a good runner ? Thinking of ordering one.

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Draconus

Cheers Mal Oz

Bachmann 108 - yes, the only disappointing thing is that the destination blind stays on at both ends on either DC or DCC.... We have the boffins looking at the wiring to see if an extra function can turn them on / off with the headlights separate to the interior lights, which are yellow !!! and only show in a darkened room. !

But it is a very nice model and only lacks in wanting a better coupling to make the gangways a tad closer together...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Fantastic - thanks for the perspective. As for the lights i remember (although this was on a 105, but similar configuration and age (ish) ) that the lights always looked a little dingy anyway, so perhaps they were after that little bit of added realism ;-)

Cheers

Reply to
Draconus

On 13/01/2007 18:03, Andy Sollis CVMRD said,

...and people!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hi Andy

Preiser people painted. I have treated the Hornby 110 and the Bachmann

108 with these people. I have to take the bodies off to fit decoders so take the opportunity to paint the interiors and fit people. They are 1.87, but true scale 4mm people seem too large for the seats in both these units anyway.

You can buy a box of 120 unpainted Preiser seated passengers for about £15. I use Games Workshop paints - a can of spray matt black to spray them black first then paint over that base. They are water soluble so dry very quickly and hence you can apply different colours at one sitting. With a good light (and magnifying lamp in my case) it is very relaxing - and you get individual passengers. Couple of nights work and you have enough passengers for a coach at a reasonable cost.

For flesh tones try an initial coat of Dwarf Flesh followed by a thinner coat of Elf Flesh or Bronzed Flesh for ladies legs wearing stockings or outside workers for a more weather beaten skin tone.

For closer coupling the 108 try replacing the standard couplings with Fleischmann profi couplings - reduces the gap by 4mm (from 15mm to 11mm) and this makes a big difference. The unit will still easily go round my

3ft curve into the fiddle yard with no problems.

In the dark with the lights on and entering the station with lights lit it looks superb. The 108 also looks good in the daylight - a superb model from Bachmann and well worth the long wait. Have to say though as a child of the 60s it looks much better in green .....

Hope this helps.

In article , Andy Sollis CVMRD writes

Reply to
Chris Moorhouse

Chris, Sorry for not replying. It muddled in with the other 80+ posts I had to read.

Yes, I may give that a try, although, with the layout it will be running on, it will have mostly male (with a few female) passengers as it is a preservation special.... See

towards the bottom of the page. I know it's a 104, but it's close enough !

Andy P.S. Having worked on MK 1 stock at the weekend in the pitch dark I can confirm that the lighting levels on the interior of the 108 is realistic - not very bright at all !!